Memes, an Examination

Nick Giorgetti, Politics Editor

If there is one species of media that typifies the digital age, it is the humble meme. Of course, a meme may last a day, but another may stay popular for months or even years.  The best ones say a lot about ourselves, so let’s examine a few notable efforts in recent memory.

Oh, the classic Italian meme. Who doesn’t love Italian food and the outgoing stereotypes of the Italian people? When we think of Italians we think of their food and affectionate people flopping their hands and arms around while talking. Therefore, it makes for the quintessential meme. On the right we observe the classic Italian hand gesture, fit for any occasion due to the cultural diffusion of this meme amongst society. It’s not awkward anymore to walk up to your friend in school and mimic this gesture.  

On the left, we get a pretty clever science meme, comparing Italian DNA to the spiral shaped rigatoni pasta. My Italian grandparents would be proud to know how much their food is loved. Quite a “saucy” meme as they say. Get it? Pasta?

Here we have an innovative blend of two memes, the “he protec” and the “man who can do both”. Trump is a man who can “do both” (protec and attac), as the popular meme and saying goes. Here, Trump is seen embracing the American Flag, the “protect” part of the meme. Below, he is seen “attacing” the fake news of CNN. Quite the bipartisan meme, whether you voted for Trump or not or agree with his politics, we can all appreciate the humor behind it, making it a fantastic political meme. Perhaps memes may be an evolution of the traditional political cartoon?

Saving the best for last, let’s examine the “expanding brain” meme. Here, side by side, is a caption and picture of the brain and subconscious expanding as the lines of text and picture go down, suggesting that the most explosive, colorful picture is the best choice, that that one has reached nirvana and the apex of life. In this case, it is “napping all day while one should be performing basic functions.” In other words, something most high school and college students can relate to, making this a fiery meme.  I give it an 11/10.

Nick Giorgetti, Political Editor

Nick Giorgetti is an expert memer, musician, second-generation Italian, food-loving and traveling senior, trapped in a perpetual search for the perfect meme.  He is highly involved in the Band program at NASH and is a member of the Marching Band cult, plotting global domination one shenanigan at a time.  When he is not knee-deep in homework and music, he woodworks, studies Italian, plays guitar, and catches up on current events, politics, and memes while sipping coffee.

During the darkest times, he never forgets the wise words of Niccolò Machiavelli: “The ends justify the memes.”

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Memes, an Examination”

1. Davis Creach on September 11th, 2017 10:24 am

Roflcopter dude! Savage memes I’m dying from the sauce!

2. Zac Backauskas on September 13th, 2017 4:40 pm

Well done, Nick. I’m so proud of the meme lord you have become. The analysis of these memes was spot on. Just an awesome job.

3. Jeremy on October 12th, 2018 3:41 pm

But won’t this article get outdated? Like, the expansive brain has a week left, at most. The protec and attac is long gone, and the rigatoni is, like, oatmeal. It’s bland and boring, but food is food, like meme is meme.

• Memes, an Examination

Fall Fashion 2018

• Memes, an Examination

The Weekender: Wood Street Galleries

• Memes, an Examination

Up Close: Halloween Parade 2018

• Memes, an Examination

The Sound of Silence

• Memes, an Examination

Culture

Conspirator’s Corner: Reptilians

• Memes, an Examination

The Weekender: The Strip District

• Memes, an Examination

Hoco or No-Go: Boutiques

• Memes, an Examination

Beauty and the Feast

• Memes, an Examination

Culture Cluster

• Memes, an Examination

Hoco or No-Go: Department Stores

Memes, an Examination