The Weekender: Dependable Drive-In

A blast from the past!

photo by Katelyn Steigerwald

Even the concessions at the Dependable Drive-In in Moon make you feel as if you’ve traveled back in time.

Ashley Borg, Reporter

Everybody knows the when-and-where when it comes to local movie theaters, but something that has slightly been forgotten are Pittsburgh’s drive-in destinations.

Drive-ins have been around as early as 1910 — shortly after movie theaters started popping up around 1908 — and the industry skyrocketed shortly after. They sold snacks, held fun events, and, obviously, sold a lot of movie tickets. The public loved it, and for many, it became a go-to activity for any given weekend. Although drive-ins and movie theaters both launched around the same time, movie theaters are indoors, with comfy chairs, heating, cooling, etc.; these features allowed movie theaters to become a new, reliable movie-watching standard.

In the early 2000s, there were only 43 drive-in movie theaters scattered across the United States. Today, however, there are 348 drive-ins in the country, and two of can be found in Pittsburgh. In previous years, these locations have struggled with lack of interest from the public; however, as years passed, drive-in theaters have regained popularity among high school students. The drive-in also provides a sense of nostalgia for the older generation who continue to frequent the spots that are left in operation.

The Twin Hi-Way Drive-In in McKees Rocks and the Dependable Drive-In in Moon Township are the two local reminders of this late resurgent trend.  Dependable Drive-in is an Uproar favorite and is only an easy 20-30 minutes from Wexford. In 1950, the Dependable Drive-In opened up as an X-rated theatre, but by 2003, they were running four screens of mainstream films — each playing two movies a night, with selections for the whole family. Today, at only eight dollars, customers receive an up-close viewing of new movies, at a third of the price of attending a conventional movie theatre.

If you are willing to make the drive down to Moon Township, you will not be disappointed after experiencing this cinematic piece of history that feels as if it has been lost in time.