Smooth Sailing

Class Council President initiates NASH’s first student and staff discount

Smooth+Sailing

Samantha Solenday, Assignments Editor

Class of 2019 President Michael Mitole has organized the first of what he hopes to be many student and staff discounts for the 2018-2019 school year — Smoothie King.

“I just kind of looked around and was like a bunch of college kids have student discounts for stuff and we don’t have that,” Mitole said. “And that was actually a promise I made in my campaign.”

So far in his quest for discounts, Mitole has written a seven-page research paper on how student discounts raise profit levels for businesses and has proposed student discounts to three businesses so far: Moe’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Smoothie King. While these interactions were mostly driven by Mitole, Dr. Kreider, Mr. Bozzuto, and Reid Suddaby, the class publicity director, also offered their input and support in the decision-making process.

Michael just comes in with all of these ideas and is set on getting more discounts for the students.

— Mrs. Perry, Senior Class Adviser

“[In my campaign speech], I said I would talk to Moe’s, Rita’s, and Smoothie King to get student discounts,” Mitole said. “So when I won I was like, well, now I have to make good on my promises.”

NATV

The process has taken over a month to complete, as Mitole had to present his ideas in the store and then speak on the phone with Smoothie King’s owner at least five more times. They settled on this discount just two weeks ago.

Mrs. Perry, one of two Class of ’19 advisers, said, “I honestly don’t know that much about the discount myself. It’s changed a few times since the first time Michael talked to Smoothie King. Michael just comes in with all of these ideas and is set on getting more discounts for the students.”

Here’s how it works: students and faculty can register on the Google form that Michael has set up by either clicking this link or scanning the QR codes on the flyers set up around the school from their Snapchat accounts or iPhone cameras. By registering, students and faculty agree to pay five dollars for a discount card that will take two dollars off of any medium or large smoothie Monday through Thursday. This discount is good through the entire school year and for any NA student or staff member, regardless of school.

The discount cards will be available for pick up after Thanksgiving break, and participants can continue to order the cards after that, as Mitole checks the registration form regularly.