High Hoops, Higher Hopes

The upcoming 3v3 basketball tournament is a mere part of the Senior Class Council’s larger plan

Nick Farabaugh, Sports Editor

As March Madness kicks off in the college basketball world, NASH will be hosting its own version of the all-consuming tournament. Senior Class President Mike Mitole has been setting new standards as Class President all year, and his next event will surely not disappoint.

This Saturday at Carson Middle School, Mitole and the Senior Class Council will host a 3v3 basketball tournament starting at 9 A.M. Players of various grade and ability levels will feel welcome, Mitole explained. 

“You see 3v3 basketball recreationally all the time, whether it be at your local YMCA or park,” he said.”It is a popular thing around the country.  Why not bring it here?”

I wanted to make an event that could raise money for the budget of the Senior class but at the same time bring people together for an event where they can forget about the stresses of their daily lives

— Michael Mitole, Senior Class President

Sign-ups are still open at $15 per team. Whether you seriously have the competitive itch to win or are looking for some simple fun on a Saturday, Mitole’s plan is for the event to satisfy your needs. Simply contact him or any of the other Senior Class Officers — Roma Ranade, Tonia Christou, Reid Suddaby, and Melanie Brkovich — and fill out a form to be entered with a team.

Mitole hopes that the event will strengthen the school community and allow the senior class to raise funds for upcoming activities.

“I wanted to make an event that could raise money for the budget of the Senior class but at the same time bring people together for an event where they can forget about the stresses of their daily lives,” Mitole said.

With college basketball on TV seemingly nonstop, tournament registrants are excited to get started.

“I am looking forward to just playing basketball with others who also like the sport,” Kyle Casten said. 

The event will help fund the Senior Class Council’s grand plan of Senior Community Day, where seniors and their families will gather on the NASH campus to enjoy food, games, live music performances from NASH seniors, and an evening-ending fireworks show from Zambelli, the same company that does fireworks for the Macy’s Parade, Kentucky Derby, and Pittsburgh Pirates.

Mitole knew that the price of a Zambelli show would be far too steep for NA to reach, but he negotiated with the owner to a $3000 price tag.

“He gave us the offer, and we knew we had to raise the money, so along the way we are making events,” Mitole said. “Smoothie King and Monte Cello’s are one way we’re doing it, but events like the 3v3 tournament are another way we can reach our goal.”