Looking Back on Senior Year

Nisha Rao, News Editor

Before I started senior year, I didn’t know what to expect from this year. On one hand, I had heard that it was the easiest year of high school, but others said it was harder than junior year. And, honestly, it was just that. Here’s what I’ve learned over the past year!

The college process sucks. There’s really no other way to put it. From figuring out where you want to apply in the first place to writing the essays to just about everything else, the process is difficult, tiring, and frustrating from beginning to end. It’s exciting to think about this amazing future ahead of you, but, at the same time, it feels like the essays will never end. You’ll definitely look at everything you’ve done in the last four years and wonder why didn’t I do more? It’s important to put everything into perspective and understand that colleges look at more than just one, singular item on your resume. Remember that you’re someone who has attended an amazing school, and so many students would kill for the opportunities you have.

Because we succeed at virtually everything we try, it can become easy to get lost in the chaos, and that’s when you need to realize that there is a life outside of this school.

Second semester senior year isn’t that great. If I’m being honest, I thought this semester would be this paradise of coasting through my classes and having fun with my friends. And, there has been some of that. But, as you care less and less about your classes, it becomes harder to focus and put effort into anything. As much as you want to have the drive and energy you had during sophomore and junior year, you realize how meaningless everything becomes. Even now, I have no idea how I stay focus, I won’t lie to you. It’s nice to not worry about getting a couple B’s on your transcript, but there’s still so much to think about. Affording college, roommates, housing, and all the other realities of higher education loom ahead of you.

You live in a bubble. Socially, economically, academically, we all live in a bubble at NASH. Though the building may physically *imprison* us, the culture of competition thrives here, and it’s certainly hard to separate yourself from that. I wouldn’t necessarily say we’re a cutthroat school, but we come pretty close. Because we succeed at virtually everything we try, it can become easy to get lost in the chaos, and that’s when you need to realize that there is a life outside of this school.

Have fun. As simple as it is, I wish people would have told me this more often. I know everybody wants the highest SAT scores or to become a Top Scholar or ace every class, but, every once in a while, you have to take a break. You need to have fun high school memories to look back on, especially considering the uncertainty of seeing your friends during college. I know I definitely want to look back and remember the fun weekends I had with my friends, rather than stressing about every little thing.

So, that’s senior year! As hard as it was, I have very few regrets, and I’m certainly glad that I got to make so many memories at NASH that I will remember throughout college. To all the juniors, good luck for the next year!