Diversity Driven

MSU kicks off the year with an ambitious agenda

photo by Chloe Mawyer

MSU meets on October 10 to discuss the case of Amber Guyger, a former Dallas police officer who was recently found guilty of murder.

Chloe Mawyer, Staff Writer

The Multicultural Student Union is back in full swing at NASH for the 2019-2020 school year. As stated in the organization’s mission statement, MUS is “a club for students of all cultural backgrounds to discuss issues, celebrate differences, and come together.”

Yet there’s a common misconception about MSU. It does not exist solely for minorities but rather for everyone, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, or religion. Not only does the club discuss pressing topics and issues, but it also participates in activities throughout the community, such as North Park’s Brazil Day, ESL night, and educating about different cultures through dinners and group discussions.

Meryem Marasli, the MSU co-president, stated, “No Place for Hate is an action group that involves the students, staff, and parents to create an environment that prevents discrimination and prejudice from occurring.”

MSU exists to help students feel more involved and accepted at NASH.

— Mr. Bishop, MSU Sponsor

Membership in MSU only requires that students be open to discussing social issues.

“MSU exists to help students feel more involved and accepted at North Allegheny Senior High as well as to help build relationships with those participating,” said the group’s sponsor, Mr. Bishop.  “It also helps to bridge the gap, if there is one, between the students that are apart of MSU and their teachers and administrators. One of the things we do is allow people to discuss and talk about issues happening in the school and then figuring out the best way to deal with them– making everyone feel more accepted at school.”

Bishop added, “In the past it has mostly been coming together, spreading the word in a sense that diversity is important and trying to participate in cultural events and things that are going on in our community.”

MSU started at NASH a decade ago in an attempt to ease growing tensions in light of an expanding enrollment.. At present, NASH’s chapter of MSU is unique in the district, but Bishop is aiming to grow interest in NA’s other schools.

“This year we are going to try to branch out to NAI and some of the other schools in the district to help them do more with inclusion and diversity in their building,” Bishop said.  “In that way, the Multicultural Student Union will become a proactive organization. We are actually empowering other people and students in different buildings to do what we do and try to help with diversity.”

MSU meets every Thursday in the Auditorium foyer, during 5th, 7th, and 9th period lunch.