Crack the Code

Last Friday, the NASH Library hosted the annual Hour of Code to upgrade student interest in computer science and related technology.

The end of the school week is typically occasion to loosen the backpack straps and lighten the mind.  But last Friday was different, even if students had the same chance to breathe a bit more easily.

Teachers closed the books and ushered their classes to the library this past Friday to participate in the annual NASH Hour of Code, where various options of fun-filled and tech-inspired activities highlightedt the variety and creativity that the computer science field has to offer.

Magdalena Laughrey

One of the most popular activities of the day was the Binary Bracelet station. Each participant created a piece of jewelry with a secret message embedded in the beads using binary code, which uses ones and zeros in sequences of eight slots to represent different letters. Students used two different colored beads, instead of numbers, on their bracelets to form their messages into wearable “tech.”

“It’s a lot of fun,” junior Kyle Beaver said, beaming as he proudly displayed his work, “and it’s nice to have a break from the normal routine.”

Magdalena Laughrey

Another station showed students a program they could easily manipulate to design a cookie-cutter or ornament that would later be 3D printed. A successful example of a cookie-cutter depicting the NA logo (shown below) demonstrated for students how simple technology can be utilized to create something entirely new, even for those who are not well-versed in computer science.

Magdalena Laughrey

“People always seem intimidated by computer science because they feel like they can’t do it,”  junior Meghna Behari told The Uproar. “But it really is easy to do and succeed at once you try it. It’s such a useful thing to learn in the 21st century.”

Magdalena Laughrey

Other students chose to engage in the sticker design activity that challenged them to come up with a clever saying that fit NA’s theme of the year: “Be kind, be the difference, and be the change.” The stickers will be selected, printed, and handed out to students and teachers.

Magdalena Laughrey

One of the prevailing lessons of the day was that information is especially valuable to people and companies, and if students are not cautious, their personal information could potentially fall into dangerous hands. The cybersecurity simulation demonstrated the difficulty of decisions that businesses must make in order to keep their organizations safe while not spending too much money in the process.  The simulation also stressed the importance of cyber safety.

Magdalena Laughrey

“This gives kids a chance to engage with different computer science-based opportunities that they may not get in their classrooms,” NASH Technology Integrator Dana Oliver said. “We do offer a lot of science-based courses at NASH, but not every kid takes them. This lets us reach those kids and let them try something new.”

Magdalena Laughrey

The central message that the Hour of Code organizers aimed to instill into the minds of participating students was that technology and computer sciences have become intertwined with almost every career field, even the arts. The robot-painting activity showcased this lesson goal by allowing students to program a robot that could paint a word of the artist’s choice.

Magdalena Laughrey

In the TV Studio, students enjoyed the chance to sit in front of the camera and give testimonials about their own experiences from a set of given questions. The video clips will be edited and made into a video portraying the lives and beliefs of the various student participants.

Magdalena Laughrey

Just across the hall from the TV studio, guest speakers from Google and finance technology start-up Troutwood taught students about some of the ways they can utilize computer science in the investment choices they will have to make once they enter adulthood. 

Magdalena Laughrey

Even for students who felt forced to attend the Hour of Code, online games and coding activities ensured that a station was available for participants of all interests. Some of the games were developed by high school students, proving that technological innovation is not reserved solely for professionals in the field.

Magdalena Laughrey

Though the event took place in the library for the entire day, NASH Librarian Laura Wienand could not help but rave about the day.

“I think the Hour of Code is great because it shows students that there are a lot of ways to be involved in computer science,” Wienand said. “A lot of people don’t think they’re computer people until they’ve discovered they can paint with a robot. Then it becomes a lot more fun.”

Magdalena Laughrey