Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Facial Hair February ends today, and organizer Mr. Mooney could not be happier with the awareness the event raised for The Caring Place.

NASH+senior+Sari+Abu-Hamad+selects+a+ticket+at+yesterdays+raffle+to+mark+the+end+of+the+the+14th+annual+Facial+Hair+February+fundraiser+event.+

photo by Meg Rees

NASH senior Sari Abu-Hamad selects a ticket at yesterday’s raffle to mark the end of the the 14th annual Facial Hair February fundraiser event.

It’s been looking quite hairy around NASH this month, but by next week everyone should be cleaned up. Today, the 14 annual Facial Hair February fundraiser comes to an end.

“Facial Hair February benefits the Highmark Caring Place, which is a facility that helps grieving children and their families,” said English teacher Mr. Mooney, who has spearheaded the cause at NA since its inception. “I wanted a way to draw attention to the Caring Place because I was so impressed by what they did. The event is a fun way to deal with a really serious subject and have a visual reminder for an entire month that your money supports kids and raises awareness.”

photo by Jeannie Schleppy
Mr. Pirring let his students choose his beard style at the close of Facial Hair February.

In addition to participating students, NASH teachers play a big role in Facial Hair February. Around 15-20 teachers participate each year, some new and some returning, sporting different beard styles in order to raise money and awareness for the cause.

Social Studies teacher Mr. Pirring agreed not to shave if his students could raise $150, and when enough money was raised by his students, he let them choose his beard style.

“I believe this is my sixth year doing Facial Hair February,” Pirring said, “and while it’s not always fun to grow out your facial hair for an entire month, I think it’s all worth it because it’s for such a worthy cause.”

On Friday, the last school day of the month, Pirring arrived to work with an Ambrose Burnside beard.

“Lo and behold, my students picked this style for me,” he said, “and that is why I look like this today.”

Math teacher Mr. Solenday added a twist, not shaving his beard but rather his whole head. He participates in FHF each leap year, and if his students can raise $400, he agrees to shave his head bald.

“I believe that I participated in Facial Hair February the first year that Mr. Mooney organized it 14 years ago,” Solenday said, “and it was the first time in my adult life that I grew a full beard. It itched and was irritating, so I now take part each leap year because I still believe in the cause of The Caring Place.” 

Mooney said he always appreciates the staff’s efforts, and this year was no exception.

I wanted a way to draw attention to the Caring Place because I was so impressed by what they did.

— Mr. Mooney

“The faculty is selling donuts this year, which is new, and the students are buying donuts above cost to support The Caring Place,” he said. “It’s like a sports team. You’re not going to get this on your own. It takes students and teachers stopping by and asking how they can get involved. This never would have worked if I tried to do it on my own.” 

Last February, $3,747 were collected, and though the total for this year is not yet certain, it appears that it will contend with last year’s record amount.

“Highmark matches every donation and every dollar that is donated is doubled,” Mooney said. “I used to really fixate on the amount that we would raise. It seemed like we had won or lost the fundraiser by how much we had raised. But as I look at it now, it doesn’t matter, and it’s really about spreading awareness.”

photo by Jeannie Schleppy
Mr. Solenday challenged his students to raise $400. In return, he shaved his head.

Yesterday during homeroom, a PA announcement directed participating students to meet in the library for a raffle. Students arrived to see several library tables filled with gift cards, t-shirts, stickers, and more.

“The raffle is just my attempt to do something different and fun for those involved,” Mooney said.  “Most of the prizes are donations from local businesses.”

NASH will be a little less shaggy when school resumes on Monday, but when Mooney tallies the funds and delivers them to The Caring Place, he’ll likely begin thinking about February 2021.

“Our teachers and students take such pride in supporting the Caring Place together,” he said.  “Let’s do it again next year.”