Taylor Heckert

March 13, 2020

Taylor+Heckert

What school do/did you attend, what do/did you major in, and what year did you graduate NA?

University of Kentucky – Kinesiology and Dance- 2017

Do you think NA gave you an accurate idea of what college/real life was going to be like? In what ways?

Yes, NA gave me the skills to live and thrive on my own. I felt like I was very good at managing my time and had good study habits that I could bring into college.

Do you think there was anything that you wish NA had done a better job of preparing you for?

I think that NA did a good job preparing us. – I was more prepared than my peers. A lot of people that go to UK are from Kentucky and graduate with classes of 50 people. It was not a shock for me to see different people each day and to a rapt to the large class size.

What was your biggest surprise when you got to college?

If there was one thing that I could change about NA is how difficult some of the classes are. A lot of my college classes have been easier than the Honors and AP courses I took in high school. 

How well prepared do you think you were compared to your peers?

My biggest surprise was the extremely large class sizes freshman year. My anatomy class had 600 students in it.- I feel like Na gave me a good idea of what college was going to be like, but I found it easier to transition into college because of the rare homework is much lesson college and exams are usually about 60% of your overall grade. There usually isn’t a bonus or extra points to boost your grade in college.

Do you have any advice for the current students?

My advice to the current students of NA would be to keep pushing through. Shortly all the stress will be worth it. Cherish seeing all of our friends each day.

What do you miss most about NA?

I miss seeing the same people each day and being a part of the NA dance team. College can feel lonely sometimes because you almost everything on your own. I loved being a part of a team in high school and have gotten very involved through my sorority, various clubs, and honors societies.