The Spirit of the Section

A limited number of students are now allowed to attend football games, and the Student Section leaders are determined to make Friday nights fun and safe.

photo by Julia Poppa

The North Allegheny Student Section was finally able to show their school spirit at last week’s football game.

Mia Dudek, Staff Writer

October 2nd, 2020 was the first time this season students could attend the North Allegheny varsity football game. Due to COVID-19 and the governor-mandated attendee limitations, students were previously unable to attend the infamous Friday night football games. Since those limitations have changed and more students are now allowed to attend, football at NA is starting to look like it did pre-COVID-19.

On September 29th, Student Section leaders met with NASH Principal Dr. Dirda to discuss students being allowed to attend football games. Student Section leader Tanner Chrise was one of the few leaders who talked to Dr. Dirda about this year’s expectations.

“In our meeting with Dr. Dirda, we briefly talked about how we, as leaders, could work together with administrators to make the games memorable for all.  During the meeting, we implemented all of the COVID-19 guidelines, as well as working together to bring the student limit to 170 students,” he explained.

Once the leaders received the official approval from Dr. Dirda, they soon rushed over to Twitter to spread their good news. The leaders communicated with eager students on how and where to sign up for the game.

Every week, students will have the opportunity to sign up for a spot via Google Form, but only 170 students will be randomly selected. The Google Form will be open to seniors first, then juniors. Students can find the Google Form under Blackboard announcements or on the Student Section Twitter.

The Google form consists of asking students to fill out their basic information and to check a box making sure they understand masks are required. If you are selected, you will receive an email.

Student selection will be divided into two sections: section A, two sections in the visitors bleachers, and section B, on the field in the band bleachers. Of course, there will be safety precautions in place.

“We tried our best to make this as safe and fun as possible for students,” Chrise said. “All students were required to wear a mask or face covering for the entire game, answer three questions regarding COVID-19, get their temperature checked before entering, socially distance –six feet apart– within the selected student section, and follow the 170 student limit we implemented.”

Another question on students’ minds was about the traditional before-game tailgates. Some sacrifices had to be made to protect the safety of everyone in attendance.

“As of now, students are still not allowed to tailgate,” Chrise added. “Although everyone loves the tailgates, it was agreed between the leaders and the athletic director, Mr. Bob Bozzuto, that we hold off on tailgates to prevent any backlash.”

Luckily, attending the Friday night football games isn’t about the tailgate– it’s about the excitement of cheering on friends and classmates on the field and showing school spirit.

Now that school is back in session, Tanner Chrise and the rest of the Student Section leaders are determined to bring back North Allegheny’s main source of school spirit.

“We are affixing team spirit this year by supporting our teams on our Twitter, @NorthAllegheny.  Though it is hard to keep team spirit going with limited attendance for all sports, we do our best to keep all students updated on sports news and scores,” he said.

The Student Section leaders made it very clear that COVID-19 will not take away North Allegheny’s support of its teams.

“We hope to see more and more students at the games once they feel comfortable. We understand that in these times, students may not feel ready to start attending the games,” Chrise added. “However, we encourage everyone to show school spirit, whether it’s on Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, or in the halls at school.”