Thoughts from the Theater

Love, in all its moods, takes center stage

Gabrielle Kossuth, Lifestyle Editor

I recently had the pleasure of attending a preview of NASH’s fall play, Almost, Maine. I’m going to be honest: I didn’t have the highest of expectations for the performance, based on the fact that all I knew of it was the slightly humdrum title.

However, it took less than five minutes for all of my prior notions to be blown away by what I can only describe as a pinnacle of dramatic and creative quality.

The performance consists of several short narratives all taking place simultaneously on one winter night in the township of Almost, Maine… an area that never quite “got to gettin’ organized” and become a full-fledged town.

What separates NASH’s version of Almost, Maine from any other (and what first caught my attention as an audience member) is the addition of poems and songs between each vignette that all center around the theme of the play: love. Standout performances include a rendition of Paul McCartney’s “Silly Love Songs” by Robby Yoho, Jack Lopuszynski, Mike Leahy, and Sean Malady; a recitation of the titular poem from 10 Things I Hate About You by Anya Soller, Maddie Banyas, and Allie Kollitz; and Alicia Keys’ “If I Ain’t Got You” as performed by Savannah Strickland and Jake Barber.

As for the play itself, it is equal parts quirky and heart-wrenching. Romantic clichés are cleverly reimagined with the extensive use of props and punnery. Spontaneity, hilarity, and sincerity are abundant in equal amounts … but most important of all, the genuine turmoils that accompany falling in love are demonstrated by the student actors with a sort of raw maturity that does not customarily inhabit young adults.

Overall, the contemporary and contemplative masterpiece that is Almost, Maine is not to be missed, and I cannot wait for the rest of the North Allegheny community to experience what I consider to be the highlight of the fall.

Almost, Maine is recommended for ages 13+, and  will be performed on November 9th, 11th, 17th, and 18th at 7:30 PM in the NASH auditorium. Tickets can be purchased here, or at the door for $12.