Brave New Year

As the first week of the new year unfolds, many NASH students are intent on following their resolutions, but others remain hesitant to join the tradition.

Many+people+around+the+world+have+long+created+resolutions+for+the+new+year+in+order+to+improve+their+lives.+

photo courtesy of The New York Post

Many people around the world have long created resolutions for the new year in order to improve their lives.

Waverly Younts, Senior Staff Writer

As 2022 begins, many people around the world are looking to improve their lives in the new year by forming and completing their New Year’s resolutions. Common resolutions include exercising, saving money, losing weight, or spending less time on social media. 

Although resolutions like those sound great on paper, the reality is that most people do not stick to their resolutions throughout the entirety of the new year. In fact, according to a study done by U.S. News, 80% of Americans fail and give up on their New Year’s resolutions by just the second week in February.

Some NASH students hope to follow through with their resolutions while others may not even attempt to form resolutions–like NASH senior Olivia Phillips– because they know they ultimately will not complete them.

“I do not think that I have ever made a New Year’s resolution. I know myself well enough to accept that I would not keep up with it,” said Phillips. “To be honest, I think the whole concept of making resolutions for the new year is unrealistic.” 

Senior Siena Gallo does not partake in making resolutions, but she acknowledges what good can come with creating them.

“I do not personally make any New Year’s resolutions, but I believe that they can benefit people’s lives tremendously,” Gallo explained. “Resolutions can motivate people to better themselves and give them a sense of accomplishment at the end of the year.”

Unlike Gallo, senior Alok Shah began his year by coming up with a few resolutions that will guarantee him success.

“I have a few college applications that I still need to finish,” Shah stated. “With that being said, my New Year’s resolutions are to perfect my applications, get them in on time, and then have a great rest of my senior year.”

Senior Brady Quatman is attempting to follow through with one of the more popular resolutions year after year – saving money.

“My resolution for 2022 is to save money for my college fund,” Quatman explained. “I also want to make the summer before we leave for our campuses the best yet, so saving up for that will be beneficial as well. ”

Resolutions can motivate people to better themselves and give them a sense of accomplishment at the end of the year.

— Siena Gallo, NASH senior

For junior Ivana Yoder, improving the health of her hair is at the top of her priorities for the new year. 

“I started to notice the results of using too much heat on my hair during the end of 2021. I want to improve the texture and look of my hair to prevent any further damage,” said Yoder. “So my New Year’s resolution for 2022 is to avoid using heat on my hair.”

Senior Kevin Osselborn wishes to better his overall self in the next year.

“I mainly just need to focus on my mental, physical, and emotional health,” Osselborn stated. “The pandemic has caused me to become lazy in these areas and I need to get back into a routine by working out more, saving up money, and hanging out with my friends.”

Like Osselborn, junior Talyson Mellott wants to improve her lifestyle and make changes to her relationships.

“My resolutions are to sleep at least eight hours each night, have set days to workout at the gym, and save up money,” Mellott added. “I also want to improve my relationships by showing my appreciation to my friends better.”

Even if students do not keep up with their goals for the new year, making resolutions can allow for them to examine the past year and reflect on what they need to improve.