Thank you for being a friend, Betty White

America’s sweetheart, commonly referred to as the “First Lady of Television,” passed just three weeks before her 100th birthday.

The Atlantic

Betty White made a tremendous impact on the world due to her tremendous acting, admirable activist work, and incredible spirit throughout nearly 100 years.

Waverly Younts, Senior Staff Writer

Actress, activist, and icon Betty White sadly passed away on December 31st, 2021, at the age of 99 after suffering from a stroke six days prior. She spent more than eight decades in the entertainment industry and leaves behind a legacy that has impacted generations after generations. She could captivate an audience with her sense of humor and caused many to fall in love with her famous dimpled smile. 

Her 100th birthday was celebrated with a pre-orchestrated documentary that showcases the wonderful woman that she was. It included special interviews with celebrities such as Ryan Reynolds, Jimmy Kimmel, Lin Manuel-Miranda, and Morgan Freeman. The film was released on what would have been her milestone birthday and played in select theaters across the country for one day only. 

Betty White was born on January 17, 1922, in Oak, Park, Illinois before moving to California with her family during the Great Depression. After graduating from Beverly Hills High School, White initially wished to pursue a career as a forest ranger due to her love of wildlife. However, she soon realized that women were not accepted in such fields and found a job instead as an assistant at a local television station. 

As she started to gain more experience in the television industry, White began to make guest appearances in multiple shows and even produced her very own television series–Life with Elizabeth– in the early 1950s. This made her one of the first-ever female producers in Hollywood.

White is best remembered for playing Rose Nylund in the wildly popular sitcom The Golden Girls and Sue Ann Nivens in the last four seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Her amazing accomplishments in her successful career seem endless, as she was the true definition of a pioneer in early television. 

White’s agent and dear friend Jeff Witjas put out a statement that confirmed her passing and showcased his mourning. 

“Even though Betty was about to be 100, I thought she would live forever,” Wijitas said. “I will miss her terribly and so will the animal world that she loved so much.”

Her lifelong love for animals is attributed to her parents’ passion for them during her childhood. In a 2009 interview, Betty explained the pet-friendly environment that her parents–Horace and Tess White– provided her with: “I’ve loved animals since I was in the womb. I was the lucky little girl who had parents who went for a walk and they’d come home with a dog or a cat.” 

As a result, White was often seen advocating for animal rights and was part of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles from the 1940s to the day she left this earth. In the 1970s, White and her late husband Allen Ludden produced a series titled The Pet Set where celebrities show off and discuss their pets with White. 

In addition to being an activist for animal rights, White also advocated for the LGBTQ+ community and stood against racial injustices. Being born in such a discriminatory time, White was truly ahead of her time in her beliefs. 

Allen Ludden and Betty White were married from 1963 to 1981 before Ludden lost his battle with stomach cancer. After his passing, White did not desire to marry again. She mentioned on multiple occasions that she was not afraid of dying as it meant she would be reunited with the love of her life. 

It is pretty much impossible to include all of Betty White’s accomplishments into just one article. Even though her story has come to an end, her admirable outlook on life will never be forgotten. Thank you for being a friend, Betty White. May she rest in peace.