33 Things To Do Instead of Writing an Article for Journalism

As a second semester NASH senior, I have found that I am struggling to complete assignments — including this article.

As+graduation+gets+closer+and+closer%2C+many+NASH+seniors--including+myself--wish+to+be+homework+and+responsibility+free.+

photo courtesy of WeAreTeachers

As graduation gets closer and closer, many NASH seniors–including myself–wish to be homework and responsibility free.

Waverly Younts, Senior Staff Writer

As the third quarter comes to a close and the fourth and final quarter of the school year begins, some NASH seniors are experiencing more and more senioritis symptoms each day–myself included.

A few days ago, I realized that the deadline for my last article in this grading period was creeping up on me. I try to not procrastinate with my schoolwork, but for whatever reason, this article is something that I was putting off for a while now.

I typically have no problem composing my articles and do not struggle to complete them as writing is a deep passion of mine. But as a second-semester senior, I am flying by the seat of my pants when completing assignments, all due to the fact that I am severely unmotivated.

In case you think I’m exaggerating, I have compiled a list of more than a few things that I would rather be doing than writing this article. 

1. Reflecting on every choice that I have ever made up until this point
  2. Taking an extremely deserved and needed nap
  3. Going to Bruster’s to get my student discount on ice cream
  4. Rewatching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix
  5. Learning how to play the ukulele that I got as a Christmas present
  6. Driving around the Wild, Wild Wex
  7. Trying yoga poses that Ms. Yon has on her Blackboard page
  8. Scrolling on my “For You Page” on TikTok
  9. Organizing the messy drawers in my room
  10. Going to McKnight Elementary School to visit some of my favorite former teachers
  11. Binging Keeping Up with the Kardashians
  12. Coloring a picture in my adult coloring book
  13. Thinking about cutting my hair to give myself bangs but ultimately deciding not to 
  14. Searching for the perfect mac and cheese recipe online
  15. Visiting Mount Washington to take pictures of downtown Pittsburgh
  16. Going through twelve years of North Allegheny art projects and deciding which ones are the best
  17. Picking out decorations to put in my dorm room
  18. Writing my mother a letter to thank her for taking care of me for the past 18 years
  19. Teaching myself how to french braid with videos on YouTube
  20. Going to Target to shop for things I do not need
  21. Pretending like I am finally going to read the copy of Wuthering Heights that has been on my nightstand for five years
  22. Going to Sheetz to satiate my craving for mozzarella sticks
  23. Playing with Stella, my black and white tuxedo cat
  24. Visiting my amazing grandparents
  25. Throwing away my socks that no longer have a match
  26. Going through the refrigerator to throw out expired food items
  27. Taking a walk around my extremely large neighborhood 
  28. Shopping for bathing suits and beach essentials for my senior trip to Ocean City, Maryland
  29. Trying out the Free Car Vacuums from GetGo to suck up the crumbs in my car
  30. Going to Starbucks to order a venti iced white chocolate mocha with vanilla sweet cream cold foam and extra caramel drizzle
  31. Making a new playlist on Apple Music
  32. Creating an expensive, unrealistic shopping cart on an online website
  33. Reading other articles on The Uproar

Each day, I have the internal struggle of wanting my high school days to be over but also never wanting to leave NASH. Regardless of which side you are on, be sure to finish off strong and know that it is perfectly normal to feel unmotivated. However, just try not to be like me and put off an assignment only to write about what you would rather be doing.