A Quick Rewind

NASH students begin the school year after a summer full of fun, adventure, and planning for the future.

Andrew+Wang+%28left%29+and+Eli+Zemsky+%28right%29+carry+Ben+Quint+%28center%29+during+an+agriculture+program+at+Penn+State+University+over+the+summer.+

photo by Ben Quint

Andrew Wang (left) and Eli Zemsky (right) carry Ben Quint (center) during an agriculture program at Penn State University over the summer.

Aris Pastor, Co-Editor-in-Chief

As a new school year begins, hundreds of NASH students are getting ready to return to class. But before starting to panic about the summer reading we all definitely read or the applications we have yet to fill out, let’s rewind and take a look at how NASH students spent their summer breaks. 

Some students, like junior Sally Baker, spent their breaks on vacation, sightseeing and finding new shores states away. 

“The highlight of my summer was going on trips with my family and hanging out with my sister,” Baker said. “We started off in Las Vegas, and then we went to Myrtle Beach after two weeks.”

Other students, like seniors Kay Mi and Ben Quint, spent their summers a lot closer to home. Both of them, though, worked hard on college campuses, using the summer to get as much experience as possible in their chosen fields. 

“I spent four weeks at Penn State,” Quint said. “We learned about agriculture, plants, animals—basically how people, plants, and things work together. Part of [the program] was an essay contest, but we spent four weeks just hanging out and doing lab work out in the field.”

Mi spent their summer at the University of Pittsburgh Health Career Scholars Academy (UPHCSA), a program that focused on medical information and careers in healthcare. It became an excellent experience for their plans to major in medicine. 

“I was introduced to a lot of different careers and public health interventions, and it really widened the scope of the medical field for me,” Mi said. “UPHCSA fostered the kind of open dialogue that fuels inspiration and large-scale change.”

I appreciated some of the silly things I did with my friends the most, like seeing a movie or making s’mores in the rain.

— Ben Quint, NASH senior

Even though application season and the start of a new year has come with a world of stress, NASH students still found time to relax and enjoy their summer. Many have found new movies or shows over the break, and allowing themselves to loosen up made for a less taxing summer. 

Senior Amanda Hulver said, “I saw Minions: The Rise of Gru three times, and it was unironically a really good movie. And I have to say, ‘Rich Minion’ by Yeat kind of slaps.”

Still, the summer was only so long, and many students still had goals left unfinished. 

“I wish I had more time for my friends,” Quint said. “This year, I focused on scholarship programs and only had four weeks free at home. I appreciated some of the silly things I did with my friends the most, like seeing a movie or making s’mores in the rain. Next year, I plan to leave a lot more time for my friends here, especially when we say our last goodbyes.”

Similarly, Hulver had many plans that didn’t pan out during her break. 

She said, “I wish I spent more time learning how to cook. As much as I love ramen, I want to eat more than just cup noodles once I go to college! I’m definitely going to spend more time next summer working on my cooking skills so I can at least scramble some eggs without burning down the house.”

Lots of NASH students have had wonderful summers, but many are ready to get back into the routine of the school year. 

As Mi said, “I’m looking forward to this year. It’s my last one [in my family] here, so I really want to make it a good one.”