“Awaken Your Senses” at Café Conmigo

The independent local coffeeshop is a welcome alternative to the chains up the street.

Olivia Shubak

Cafe Conmigo, located on Perry Highway in the Wexford Flats, offers greenery, relaxation, and a menu full of delectable offerings.

Olivia Shubak, Staff Writer

An oasis in the suburban “Wexford bubble,” Café Conmigo Coffee & Tea House is the ideal location to spend one’s time—whether that’s working, connecting with old friends, or meeting someone new. Its slogan “Awaken Your Senses” is the perfect description for this vibrant cafe. At a time when Starbucks has reigned supreme as the dominant coffee shop for several decades, having fresh alternatives is a welcome change. Intimate and local, Café Conmigo checks all the boxes of customer needs. 

When considering what elements contribute to a desirable hang-out, there are a few musts.  The beverage selection should range from the tried and true cup of coffee to more trendy cafe offerings such as a Lavender Oat Milk Latte. But churning out brewed coffee, cappuccinos and lattes don’t necessarily equate to quality. The baristas are trained to pay attention to details such as brewing temperature and time, as well as creativity, in their offerings.  Café’ Conmigo meets that most important benchmark.

Just a little over half a mile from NASH, many students frequent this cafe.

“I think Café Conmigo is such a great resource, not only to locals but especially to NASH students,” junior Cate Lenchner said. “With how close it is in proximity—only a short walk from the high school—the great coffee and even better atmosphere provide the perfect study and hangout area for me and my friends.” 

A visitor to the cafe will notice a range of patrons, but students and professionals alike are welcome.  Often a venue will become a silo for a narrow group, either professionals or students. But Café Conmigo continues to demonstrate that a central gathering place can offer something for everyone and that all are welcome.  

Another junior, Gabbi Stegeman, said, “I like Conmigo because it’s a good place to study or meet up with people. The cafe itself is really pretty and has nice staff.” 

Many others at the school agree with the views of Lenchner and Stegeman, and the cafe has certainly become a student favorite. 

“I’ve heard about Cafe Conmigo and the interior looks really aesthetic,” said junior Bri Nash. 

Atmosphere is probably where Café Conmigo stands apart from the larger franchises.  The cafe’s cozy yet energetic ambiance is a big part of its allure. In addition to comfortable seating, there are ample windows to let in natural light. 

The main attraction, and most impressive feat, of the cafe is the vibrant greenery of its indoor plants.  Greenery adorns every nook and you’ll see a variety of plant species sprawling over the counters and hanging from the ceiling.  Some of the plants are available to purchase, and they come with identification and care recommendations. The owners have taken the “token plant” decor to a new level, providing a natural and refreshing space and encouraging others to see if they, too, have a green thumb.

The cafe is spacious and inviting, boasting 2,100 square feet. The owners have struck a balance of providing ample space without losing the intimate feel of a cafe. Unlike many other cafes, customers can count on finding a seat that won’t be too crowded. 

The decor and atmosphere nurture an environment of utter relaxation and ease. Some of the plants are available for purchase as well as a variety of merchandise, including stickers, small decorations, and food items. 

The menu of the cafe itself consists of the usual cafe beverage selections, but it also includes seasonal specialties, from the cherished Pumpkin Spice Latte to the more unique Turmeric Maple Latte or Beetroot Brown Sugar Latte, keeping the menu fresh and exciting.  Pre-packaged snack items and pastry items are also part of their daily offerings. The cafe accommodates various dietary needs, including gluten-free items and a multitude of non-dairy options, among them the unusual macadamia nut milk.  

The cafe has a mission to bring the community together. Customers can check out the community bulletin board for local services and artists. They even have a printer and fax machine for customers to use if needed.  The cafe also features a raised platform that doubles as a space for extra seating or live music and other entertainment, which only adds to the likelihood that hanging out at Café Conmigo inspires a sense of togetherness.