RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

photo by Kaycee Orwig

photo by Kaycee Orwig

Margo Weller, Scribe-at-Large

RANTS

Being part of the student body minority that does not grind at dances, I feel justified in ranting about this display of minimal self-respect: do you not see the Madia photos afterward in which 999/1000 are unflattering action shots of too many people in contact with too many pieces of flesh that are not their own or even their dates’? The fact that an NAI teacher stopped chaperoning dances after finding an undergarment on the floor while cleaning up says it all. Please, let’s find some class.

Also, a percentage of girls spend the months of August to October either panicking about finding a Homecoming date or cussing out the Y-chromosome for rendering them date-less. Much of this same population, however, is apt to ditch MORP, the dance where girls ask guys. Please explain this incongruent behavior to me. Do you want to go to a dance with a date, or do you just want to play hard to get?

The paperwork one must complete to bring a date outside of the district to the dance — seriously? You already enter their name AND phone number when purchasing the tickets; I don’t see the necessity of additional paperwork unless, of course, it is the 21 year-old rookie Steeler allegedly in the pipeline to attend Prom, but I’ll leave that unsettling scenario for a future ranter. [ Addendum 2/9/18: This statement is in no way intended to criticize an individual but to merely draw attention to my opinion of the ridiculousness of the paperwork. ]

RAVES

Chivalrous boyfriends pay for every date, and chivalrous boyfriends doing a good job accumulate a hefty date tally over time. In the last two years and two months, my boyfriend has only ever allowed me to pay for MORP tickets, barring the occasional dollar bills I contribute to the IHOP waitress’ tip when he lacks the appropriate denominations. Good men deserve an event where the tables are turned, and they are the ones being treated!

Also, 80% of the time I hang out with my friends the dress code is strictly sweats, hoodies, and just-showered hair, perfect for our usual venue: one of our basements. This situation, however, doesn’t lend itself well to cute photos together, which are obviously vital to birthday and appreciation posts on social media. Thank goodness school dances force us to be camera-ready, flanked by parents armed with enough iPhones and cameras to give Hollywood paparazzi a run for their money.

Girls asking guys gives us a much greater appreciation for the effort it takes to conjure a quality proposal. I’ve only had to think of two “asks” in my life, and I can’t imagine being one of the guys who have attended every dance and were tasked with creating five unique proposals. Seven would surely sap their creativity — and desire to attend dances.

Margo Weller, Scribe-at-large
As a second semester addition to the staff, Margo is excited to be involved with The Uproar. She is a senior who will major in economics at Grove City College in the fall. In addition to writing, Margo enjoys running, playing the saxophone, and spending time outdoors. She is a volunteer for the elementary and...
17 Comments

17 Responses to “RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition”

1. Josh Luchini on February 9th, 2018 12:59 pm

It is none of your business what people choose to do with themselves. If you do not like the way people act, then don’t go. Stop ranting about things that can be easily solved, with you just not going. By the way, you wouldn’t want to see JuJu at NASH? Also, there is nothing wrong with the precaution of paper work to take someone who isn’t from this school. I have read this twice, and disagree with almost everything you have stated.

[Reply]

Luke Trueman (Sauce) Reply:

Just tryna get the aux

[Reply]

Cam Yurick Reply:

Margo, CHILLL PLEASE! If you don’t like how these dances are you can always stay at home. Most people enjoy how these dances function, otherwise they would not be like this. I completely disagree with your entire rant. Who wouldn’t want to see JuJu at our MORP?!

[Reply]

Margo Weller Reply:

I will go to MORP because I will have an awesome time with my friends and can coexist with people who make different choices than me. I don’t care that it’s JuJu, I just believe it is inappropriate for anyone of that status and age to attend a high school event. These are my opinions. I respect you and yours despite our differences.

[Reply]

2. Margo Weller on February 9th, 2018 1:22 pm

I’m not trying to control anyone’s behavior. Of course, you have a right to act however you choose. I also have a right to assert my viewpoints. Although I choose not to grind, many of my friends do, and we are still friends. I respect their choices, and they respect mine. Diversity of thought is important and so is the respect of that. I choose to uphold my values, and I still like people who uphold different ones. I ranted because I was assigned the Rants and Raves MORP column.

[Reply]

3. Ben Stupak on February 9th, 2018 1:23 pm

^

[Reply]

4. Madeline Escourt on February 9th, 2018 2:21 pm

To begin, I completly respect that you have the right to speak your mind and understand that you are allowed to voice your opinion, whether I agree with it or not. However, in my opinion where this article goes wrong is regarding the numerous assumptions that you make. To say that people who grind have ‘minimal self-respect’ and that they need to ‘find some class’ is rather offensive and arrogant. To make these assumptions about people just because they are doing something that you do not agree with is being extremely myopic. Additionally, when mocking girls who ‘panic about finding a homecoming date’, please keep this in mind: not everyone is lucky enough to find a significant other in their high school years. Saying that they are playing hard to get is just plain inconsiderate. Also, I agree with the people who have commented above me, having JuJu at our Prom would be legendary.

[Reply]

Margo Weller Reply:

Because it appears the primary goal of this comment is to publicly tarnish my character, the only fragment that I care to address is the misconception regarding my second paragraph. I am by no means “mocking girls” without boyfriends. I am stating that I dislike when the same girl who faulted a guy for not asking her to homecoming chooses to ditch MORP *despite having potential dates* with the petty motivation of making a statement.

[Reply]

5. Kaycee Orwig on February 9th, 2018 3:27 pm

You know, it’s appalling to me that in a society of freedom this and freedom that, that people can feel so hesitant to share their opinions. Just this article, filed under opinions, received so many hateful comments. Chill people. She has a right to her own opinion and congrats to her for having the guts to share it so boldly!

[Reply]

Cam Phillips Reply:

That doesn’t make any sense. Margo is sharing her opinion (albeit slightly pretentiously), and other people are responding with their opinions. She isn’t receiving hate, she is receiving legitimate criticism.

[Reply]

6. Madelynn Stibbard on February 9th, 2018 3:34 pm

I agree one-hundred percent with you, Margo. There is no valid justification that people can make about grinding at MORP. I also don’t agree with the idea that people who find this behavior repulsive should have to “stay home”.

[Reply]

7. Amanda Lu on February 9th, 2018 8:26 pm

Margo, I appreciate and admire your ability to voice your opinions among a population that shares very different beliefs, but I’m not going to lie to you, the whole entire article is pretentious. Really. I love that you feel so passionate about your values, but I hate that you feel like you need to put down other people because they don’t uphold the same values as you. Accusing people of being classless and having minimal self respect is absolutely egregious in so many ways; not only is it offensive, it is also flat-out wrong. Someone’s actions at a high school dance has absolutely NOTHING to do with their self esteem or the level of respect they have for themselves. Grinding may not be the most appropriate way to dance, but just because you decide to dance appropriately while the people beside you grind does not make you any better than them. You are not morally superior in any way because of what you choose to do at a high school dance.
    The reason you received so much negative feedback for this article was not because people disagreed with you. It’s because of the self-righteous tone of your words. When you look down on your peers, advising them to “find some class,” it’s hard to not expect people to get angry.
    Like I said in the beginning of my reply, I respect you for being able to stand up for your values in spite of opposition size. However, next time, you should try to state your values without trying to degrade other people’s.

[Reply]

Margo Weller Reply:

The strong word choice I used was with the goal of making the piece interesting and funny. My intended tone was one with a sense of humor that seems to have been misconstrued for arrogance which I apologize for. I do not believe I am superior to anyone who makes different choices than me, but I do not apologize for finding the activity class-less and do believe all of our actions (regardless of setting) are a reflection of how we see ourselves.

[Reply]

8. Margo Weller on February 11th, 2018 2:45 pm

Final Thoughts:

I hope everyone had a great night yesterday choosing to do whatever they believe is best. While I didn’t naively expect three sentences regarding my stance on grinding to be a popular opinion, I never expected them to elicit paragraph responses or launch this article to the second most trending piece. This means I struck a nerve in the student body, and I do not regret it. Authenticity and honesty regarding controversial topics are vital to a functional culture. Discourse is fantastic because it expands our minds. The only regret I have about this article is not making a disclaimer statement to read it with a sense of humor and for unintentionally drawing too much attention to an individual with my rookie Steeler reference, though it was deemed benign and comical by many proofreaders prior to publication. I am unashamed of my values which are unpopular but — despite the comments on the piece — not uncommon. Almost 2,000 views and only four real comments in opposition. The texts and phone calls I received in support this weekend were far more than four. Thank you to those who reached out; I do not fault you for being unwilling to publicly comment after seeing what I experienced for explicitly stating what you also believe. And an extra thank you to those who reached out despite disagreement with the content of my piece but to support me as an individual; that’s really what life is about right there. The bottom line is that this piece was my assignment, and I completed it to the best of my ability. My friendships with people who danced differently than me at MORP will continue because they understand my assigned rant was about the activity not their personhood. To me all that matters in “judging” a person is how well they treat others, and the diversity of my friendships is a testament to that claim. I am fully aware that I am far from perfect. I have admitted adjustments that could have improved this article, but I do not apologizing for speaking what I believe to be true. I didn’t expect my second week on newspaper to be quite this eventful, but I suppose I’m giving some credibility to The Uproar’s namesake. Love it or hate it, this is me, and I am not sorry. Grinder or non-grinder, I respect you. Here’s to a fresh start of a new week.

Signing off — Yours Truly.

[Reply]

9. Kirthana Kannan on February 12th, 2018 1:39 pm

I only care to address the raves section of this piece at this moment; what about the lesbians?

[Reply]

10. Luke Turkovich on February 15th, 2018 12:17 pm

The other question is if there is a place for JuJu’s bike at prom. That would be a pretty sweet sight to see.

[Reply]

Shudipto Wahed Reply:

We don’t want his bike to get stolen though!

[Reply]

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

Opinion

Rants & Raves: Prom Edition

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES: Holiday Edition

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

Opinion

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

RANTS & RAVES

• RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition

Opinion

RANTS & RAVES

RANTS & RAVES / MORP Edition