Dating violence campaign raises awareness and hope

Amber Vora, Staff Writer

Did you know that around 28% of high school and college students are assaulted by someone they are or were dating?

February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, and this week NASH has been making an effort to raise awareness about abuse in teenage relationships. All week, bracelets are being sold for $1 during lunch periods to raise money for 3ENow, a Dating Violence Awareness organization, and a local women’s shelter. Key Club members can earn one donation hour for every ten bracelets they buy.

The campaign was conceived by junior Jordana Avigad.

“I went to an event with a panel of speakers who discussed the issue of dating violence,” Avigad said. “As a society, we talk about other important issues like drinking and drugs. However, we neglect to discuss the importance of knowing about dating violence.”

Intent on raising awareness of this problem, Avigad is coupling the bracelet sale with a Spirit Week.  Students are encouraged to dress according to the theme of the day — Crazy Sock Day (Monday), 80’s Day (Tuesday), College Apparel Day (Wednesday), Superhero Day (Thursday), and Friday (Black & Gold Day).

“I just want people to be aware that this is an issue that we need to know about,” she said. “You never think it could happen to you, a friend, or a family member.”