“Everyone Else is Doing It, Too”

When we use peer pressure as a crutch, we avoid taking responsibility for ourselves

Katelyn Steigerwald, Features Editor

When I think of peer pressure and the various ways the term has come to my attention over the years, I think back to a small assembly that was held in the Franklin Elementary school cafeteria.

An organization had come to our school to discuss the dangers of smoking and the importance of avoiding negative influences, but mostly the presentation zeroed in on the idea of peer pressure.

In educational settings, discussions about peer pressure are a generally common way to inform students about the dangers that following the crowd can present, but are young adults using this concept to place blame on others to rationalize their own poor decision-making skills?

Whether it’s the decision to not join a club, the choice to be friends with a certain individual, or a circumstance more serious, we all make decisions every day based somewhat on the opinions we expose ourselves to. You may ask a friend what they think about this or that, and hopefully, they provide helpful insight. However, in all likelihood, every person in your life has their own agenda, good or bad, and it is ultimately your job to make those positive choices.

In all likelihood, every person in your life has their own agenda, good or bad, and it is ultimately your job to make positive choices.

In today’s society, many tend to enjoy the notion of pointing fingers at others when a choice garners negative consequences. And while the vast majority of students and young adults make their judgments in a responsible way, some chose to accuse those in sight of pushing them to their eventual actions. Outside feedback can be hard to grasp and possibly steer things in the wrong direction; nevertheless, making choices is something that must be done on your own accord.

There are really only two types of “peer pressure”: direct and indirect. Direct peer pressure would be a statement or opinion that is offered up, not always wanted or expected. Some examples might be a friend saying, “I think you should wear this” or “I think you should not do that”. It is usually a straightforward response with a blatant indication of what the person thinks is the right thing to do in a specific situation.

Indirect peer pressure, on the other hand, is much more unspoken and implied. You may know that a fellow student is widely disliked, so you decide to not treat them kindly or with common respect. Those who choose to jump on the bandwagon or follow others blindly may deal with this form of peer pressure — much more frequently than they realize.

Also, according to the National Library of Medicine, “girls, on average, are more resistant to peer pressure than boys, in both neutral and antisocial situations.” And additionally, about 10% of young adults claim they have never felt any pressure from peers, while the other 90% feel that they have experienced some form of this during their teen years.

Personally, I think the concept of peer pressure is a hoax and a scapegoat used to avert responsibility for negative outcomes. When making choices that could affect our future selves, we should keep focused on how we feel rather than how we think others will perceive us.

And though the idea of a potential pressure from others can help to make young adults feel better about the avenues they pursue, it is up to us to determine our own stance. I make decisions based on how I feel and what I believe to be true, and you should too.

If you feel you have fallen victim to peer pressure, I encourage you to join that club, be kind to others, and do whatever you consider to be the right thing. Push yourself to stand out and stand up for your own assumptions in both educational environments and in personal scenarios.

Do you think peer pressure is real?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.