A Time of Indecision

Many teens are undecided about their college majors and careers, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

photo by Lily Courville

It can be unsettling to hear friends announce their future college majors when you have no idea where or what you’d like to study.

Lily Courville, Staff Writer

We all know a kid whose life goal is to become a doctor. Or a kid who has been dreaming of becoming a lawyer for as long as they can remember. 

They’re going to this college to study that major, then they’ll go to that graduate school and find work as this career

I envy those kids. With my entire being.

Ever since I was in elementary school, I’ve never known what I wanted to do with my life. I can recall being given packets with career questions, with the intent to get us thinking about our future occupations early. Year after year, my answers varied widely. 

In 1st grade, I wanted to be a pop star. In 2nd grade, I wanted to be a cake decorator. The list goes on and on, but I can almost guarantee that no two years were ever the same.

I always figured I would grow out of my indecisiveness, but I haven’t in the slightest. And I feel like I should have by now. After all, in high school we hear daily that it’s vitally important to prepare for our future.

Yet here I am in my junior year, and nothing has really struck my interest yet, despite how much I so fervently wish something would. I just find a lot of trouble in finding something I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life.

Simply put, I haven’t found my passion. It sounds funny to say as a mere 16-year-old, but it feels expected of teenagers to know what we want to do with the rest of our lives.

The pressure of making a decision on a career path is especially heightened this year, as junior year is very college-and-career-oriented. It almost feels like I’m falling in a downward spiral, as I can’t decide on a major, which I need for a job, which I need for success in life.  It’s enough to set me off in a panic.

But then a calmer voice prevails in my head.  Although the pressure to begin planning a career is ever-present, it’s too hard to believe that it’s now or never.

So rather than getting stressed, I try to view adolescence as a perfect time to try new things and have unique experiences.

North Allegheny offers apprenticeships through GOAL and plenty of career fairs, so we can explore all our potential options.  Through the Counseling Office, we can participate in a multitude of helpful events, like career fairs, a college information nights. 

Instead of taking a negative perspective, we can opt for a positive outlook on the situation.  

About 33% of college students will change their majors, so we should have faith that it’s completely normal to be a bit less than certain what exactly the future holds in store for us. That’s why now is a great time to experiment with what you like.

Sure, I wish this pressure would lighten up, but it’s more important that I change my own philosophy and accept who I am at this moment in life.

There’s no denying it — I’m still improving on this attitude. I still find myself freaking out about my future from time to time. But I’ve learned to remind myself that there’s still a lot time before the most important decisions in my life need to be made.

I can only hope that others who are similarly indecisive can find solace in knowing it’s okay to be less than sure.  After all, we’re only teenagers, and plenty of time is on our side.