Jacob Pan

September 23, 2020

Jacob Pan is a freshman at Rice University in Houston, Texas. He was excited to start at the school of his dreams. That was until his college experience was turned completely remote for the fall semester. He, however, is not alone. Along with him thousands of college freshmen are facing this devastation to the first parts of their college lives.

Pan is currently at his home due to the fact that he chose to do this semester online. Rice allowed students to choose if they wanted to come to campus or to stay home. He chose to stay home because Houston was getting slammed with COVID-19 cases right as school was starting up.

“It definitely doesn’t feel the same,” Pan stated. “You’re not really able to meet up with new friends after or before class. However, it’s definitely nice to not have to walk to different buildings across campus.” 

Even though Pan is stuck at home, he has been trying to make the best of his situation. He has tried to make somewhat of a relaxing first semester, and focus on his grades when there are no other distractions that the college experience brings with it.

“Overall, a very different, but pretty chill experience so far,”

Pan, along with many other students, hope that their remote experience will end after the first semester. They hope that their college experiences will get to begin in the spring of 2021.