Manas Kathir

June 1, 2023

When I, along with my former Franklin Elementary School classmates, entered the new Franklin building during the “Walk Back In Time,” the one thing that struck to me was how much it changed. The school was immensely larger, there was a larger population of kids, and the playground was extended.

However, even though that was easy to notice, the most surprising part of the day was our fifth grade letters. Shockingly, I feel like my handwriting back then was prettier than what it is now. But the one thing that confused me the most was the line “I hope I get a scholarship in a computer engineering program.”

What made this so comical to me is the fact that I absolutely despise anything related to computer engineering now, and that just shows us how much our viewpoints can change throughout the years. It also shows how much an organization like The Uproar can impact your interests and make you explore different venues in life. Because of my experience with the school newspaper along with the change of my interests, I have decided to major in Communications at Syracuse University. I hope to become an American TV personality on ESPN one day, just like Stephen A. Smith.

It’s crazy how much Franklin Elementary School has changed over the years, but it is sort of like my switch from future engineer to future journalist. It kind of shows how far we have come and how much we have grown. Whatever journey you go on next, make sure to always enjoy and embrace the changes in life, just like I did throughout my 12 years at North Allegheny.