The Top Moments in NA Sports This Year

From continued dominance to stunning surprises, the year in Tiger athletics brought a long list of highlights.
patch.com%2Fpennsylvania
patch.com/pennsylvania

North Allegheny’s historic athletics program stands out from the rest of the state year after year. NA crowns multiple WPIAL and PIAA champions every year. This year was another outstanding year, in which there were many memorable and impressive moments from each team.

Fall 2023

NA Athletics

5. Boys’ soccer makes it to the WPIAL championship. The team made a stunning improvement from the previous year, as they did not make the playoffs in 2022. They followed up that disappointing season with one of the best ever, making it to the WPIAL championship game, where they sadly lost in a penalty kick shootout to Norwin.

4. Girls’ soccer has an undefeated regular season and makes the WPIAL championship. One of the best girls’ soccer teams in NA history showcased their talent this year. With multiple Division 1 recruits, they went 18-0 in the regular season, and 22-2 overall. They sadly fell to Fox Chapel in the WPIAL championship, 1-0 in overtime, but that does not take away from the impressive season they had.

3. Cross country sweeps WPIAL championships. Both the boys and girls once again continued their dominance in the WPIAL, both claiming the championship. Both teams steamrolled competition on their way to the PIAA championship, where the girls also took first place and crowned themselves as state champions.

2. Football beats Central Catholic in a thriller WPIAL championship game for the second year in a row. After a brutal 50-22 regular season home loss to the Vikings, the Tigers came together in the championship game to defeat Central, 44-41. In a high scoring, exciting game, the Tigers played one of the best games in program history, fueled by Logan Kushner’s 347-yard, six-touchdown night. The Tigers then went on to make a state championship appearance, their first since 2012.

1. Girls’ volleyball continues their legendary state dominance, claiming another PIAA championship. This year’s win marked seven state championship wins in a row for the Tigers. This is the second longest winning streak in history, and the Tigers now have the second most total state championships, with 12. In a quick and easy game, the girls defeated Union in a 3-0 match. The dominance of this team was simply indisputable.

Winter 2023-24

NA Athletics

5. Standout wrestler and football player Aidan Buggey claims his 100th career wrestling win. In the team quarterfinal match against Bethel Park, Buggey easily defeated his opponent to reach the 100 win mark. Buggey also went on to compete at the state individual championship and claimed 6th place.

4. Girls’ basketball delivers a comeback win in a home playoff game against Upper St. Clair. In a thrilling quarterfinal game, the Tigers came out victorious with a 44-41 victory. The girls were down at halftime to six-seeded St. Clair but came out firing and secured the win to move on to the semi finals.

3. Tigers cream rival Pine-Richland at home. Boys’ basketball had one of the most exciting athletic moments of the year, when senior Joe Dopirak hit the 1,000 point mark in a win against Pine-Richland. The hoopers put up 72 points in the victory and only allowed 53. This win also secured NA’s spot in the playoffs.

2. Ice hockey defeats Seneca Valley in Penguins Cup semifinals. At RMU Island Rink, NA outscored their rivals, 4-2. This game felt extra nice after being upset two years prior in the same game by the Raiders. The Tigers went on to the Penguins Cup championship, losing 3-2 to Pine-Richland, but making their first appearance in the game since 2021.

1. Girls’ swimming and diving win the state championship. For the second straight year and third in four years, the girls were crowned best in the state. Behind impressive days from divers Juliet Hood and Lola Malarky, respectively earning 2nd and 3rd place, the Tigers won by just eight points. 

Spring 2024

NA Athletics

5. Baseball’s J.J. Mancuso goes yard in his first ever varsity at bat. The stellar freshman outfielder saw his first plate appearance early in the season against Norwin. He wasted no time, swinging at the first pitch of his first ever varsity at bat, and hit a two-run home run, propelling the Tigers to an important 5-4 victory

4. After a 0-5 start, boys’ lacrosse finishes the remainder of the regular season 12-1, clinching the fourth seed and a first round bye in the WPIAL playoffs. With an important away game win against Pine-Richland and a home Senior Night victory against Peters Township, their confidence grew as the season progressed.

3. Boys’ volleyball faces arch rival Shaler at home late in the regular season and claims an impressive 3-1 victory. The sophomore-fueled team rose up against mighty Shaler, with Will Robertson notching 24 kills and Brendan Moore tallying 12 kills and three blocks. The Tigers would go on lose to Shaler in the WPIAL final, but with a PIAA playoff berth for both teams, the final word has yet to be written.

2. Boys’ tennis reclaims the WPIAL crown, defeating Gateway in the championship. On May 8th, the boys won the match by a narrow score of 3-2. The run ultimately ended in the PIAA semifinals.

1. Girls’ track stays lifts their third-straight WPIAL trophy. There were many gold medal performances in this meet where the girls defeated Norwin, North Catholic, and Mt. Lebanon. This is the girls’ 14th overall WPIAL crown.