MENtal Health Month

Men’s emotional wellbeing remains a scarcely talked about, yet hugely important, topic.
Scout Gilliland

Unknown to most, June is recognized as Men’s Mental Health Awareness Month.  While this month is intended to raise awareness about a critically important cause, it often goes entirely ignored by both the media and public alike.

With a new emphasis on treating mental health, many have risen up to share their stories and struggles with a variety of illnesses and traumas.  This recent trend has been abundantly positive for the hundreds of millions who suffer from mental illness.  However, with the study of psychology being a relatively new science, many still remain hesitant to seek help.  

Primarily, men have shown a decreased likelihood to seek mental aid. Studies show that as much as 40% of men won’t even speak about their mental health, let alone seek therapy. Around 20% of men have anonymously reported having some form of mental illness from 2008-2022.  The number gradually grew from year to year.  While a significantly greater number of men are coming forward about their mental health struggles, stigmatization and cultural influences remain powerful adversaries to men’s mental health.

Of course, women also experience mental health struggles to the same degree and severity as men.  However, women are far more likely to seek help than men.  Not only can this be seen in the willingness to go to therapy, but also in suicide rates.  Often, suicide accompanies feelings of intense isolation and hopelessness. Without proper support systems, fighting the feelings of self harm Hence, over three quarters of all suicides are men.  While help is certainly available for all suffering from suicidal thoughts, men are far less likely to seek assistance. 

While it’s difficult to pinpoint the exact reason for individuals to seek or not seek therapy, certain cultural factors do play into the lack of support for men suffering from mental illness. 

In general, mental illness still faces much stigmatization from the uninformed public.  Misconceptions such as “all people with schizophrenia are psychopaths,” or “all people with OCD are germaphobes” remain harmful and misguided stereotypes.  Mental illness is widely varied from person to person, yet the media seems to only push one agenda that frames mental health complications as uncontrollable curses. 

Additionally, with depression and anxiety related disorders, men may be told to “man up” or “tough it out,” as many men are in their youth. While being strong and courageous remain admirable and important qualities to possess in difficult times, mental illness is far from a scrape at the playground.  Disorders like depression and anxiety are much more extreme than just fear or worry, yet many men can’t grow to understand that or seek help if they’re forced to suppress all unfamiliar  emotions. 

It’s also worth noting that many who suffer from mental illness are affected by PTSD. While PTSD is not exclusive to veterans, combat experience often yields struggles with emotional well being.  And, over 90% of all veterans are male. All that to say, the many men enlisted in combat are highly susceptible to mental illness, yet very unlikely to seek necessary help.  

Men’s mental health may seem to only affect 50% of our population, yet it ultimately holds massive consequences for the entirety of society.  Aside from the aforementioned suicide rates, men have a higher likelihood to turn to substance abuse rather than healthy methods of catharsis.  This method of release not only destroys the health of the user, but collateral damage remains an eminent threat to friends, co-workers, and loved ones.

Ultimately, men’s mental health awareness remains a major shortcoming in modern times.  With a lack of proper education, negative stereotypes for mental illness, and inherited downplaying of emotion, men are in a period of internal struggle. Luckily, our era is placing more emphasis on general mental health than ever before, allowing for positive changes in the realm of therapy, but such evolution is only possible when it is prioritized. 

In honor of Men’s Mental Health Awareness Month, the best course of action for the average citizen is to simply check in on others.  Building a support system and allowing oneself to be available for those who may be silently struggling allows the many who hide their mental illness to feel welcomed and accepted.  Help and connection is possible and available for those who seek it, and a better future for all is possible when empathy takes precedence.