Temperature Swing

A Day at NASH

photo by Michael Taffe

Thermostat reading, 9/13/18 1pm, NASH Library P.L.A.C.E.

Maddie Kantz, Reporter

Any day now, Katy Perry’s song “Hot N Cold” will be making a comeback around the halls of NASH as students move from one climate to another.

Did I say climate? What I meant to say was the different classrooms in NASH. It’s easy to get the two confused, as both vary greatly as students proceed through the school day.

We all know that time in spring or fall when it’s the perfect temperature and we don’t ever want the weather to change. Bu it’s a false sense of security.  When temperatures eventually climb or drop, you want nothing more than for the temperature to be constant and comfortable.

For me, my first period class in the orchestra room and my second-period class, English with Mr. Gliozzi, are almost always guaranteed to be the perfect temperature in the cozy high 60s or low 70s. It’s hard for me to imagine that, at some point in the near future of the school day, I will be battling the onset of sleep in a room that feels more like a sweat lodge or trembling behind the desk if I’m not dressed for a winter storm.

From Mr. Gliozzi’s room, I venture upwards to math where the temperatures are as variable as the lottery . Some days in this room, I am able to sit comfortably in that class, but more often than not, I find myself shaking my legs up and down trying to keep warm.

If the room were always cold , I would at least be able to mentally prepare myself before walking in, but instead every day I wonder how I will feel for the next 40 minutes. If I get called on in that class and I’m not paying attention, I promise it’s because I’m thinking about how cold I am just sitting there.

American Government is next, and it felt pretty comfortable at the start of the school year, leading me to think I could count on it as a safe haven in the middle of the day. One day that changed, though, when I walked in and couldn’t stop shivering until the moment I left.

Next is French, where I am greeted with an especially warm classroom, unlike any of my others. It should feel nice after the tundra I had just battled through, except for the fact it never fails to make me more tired than I thought I already was. I would love more than anything to be somewhere that puts me to sleep. The only problem is that that somewhere also happens to be in school.

I nearly jump out of my seat as the bell rings signaling for lunchtime. In a timespan of under five minutes, I go from falling asleep in the tropics of French to freezing my derriere off in the cafe, now awake and wanting more than anything to get warm again. The cafe is supposed to be a place of relaxation where you get to enjoy your lunch, but sadly that’s not the only thing that gets done. Time is also spent wondering why or how one room in August and September could be so cold.

It’s off to the Newsroom next, where the small confines allow for the newspaper staff’s body heat to keep things at least reasonable — though there have been days already when we’ve done our work to the hum of a space heater.

Things only get worse from there. As unpleasant as I think the cafeteria is, nothing can compare to the frigid climate in the Bio room 365. A day does not go by when I fail to walk into that classroom and tell my friend how freezing it is. 

At last, however, there is relief.  The 2:15 bell sounds, and I venture forth into the Pittsburgh weather — hardly anything to brag about, but at least I know what I’m getting into.