In Memory of Laura Ditka

Alex Flagg, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Early last week, North Allegheny lost one of its finest.

Laura Ditka, who graduated from NA in ‘81, passed away unexpectedly last Monday at the age of 55.  In 2017, she was honored as a Distinguished Alumni by the NA Foundation for her work with the PA Office of Attorney General.

Abigayle Tobia, Executive Director of the NA Foundation, admired Ditka’s dedication and impact.

“Professionally she was dedicated to advocating for our communities’ most vulnerable citizens; children who were victims of abuse,” said Tobia.  “It was clear to Laura that children needed special care, protection and advocacy and her leadership changed the way these cases were prosecuted.”

Throughout her career, Ditka worked on over 160 cases regarding sexual assault, abuse, and homicide, starting at the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office and eventually taking over the criminal division for the western part of the state at the PA Office of Attorney General.  Perhaps her most high profile case, Ditka served as the lead prosecutor in the Graham Spanier trial, which centered on his part in covering up child abuse claims against Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky.  

She attributed much of her success to her American Government class at NA.

Ditka’s other accomplishments include writing the first national protocol for child abuse case investigation, founding the area’s first Child Abuse Unit, and working on the board of directors for Pittsburgh Action Against Rape.

The North Allegheny community remembers her compassion and love.

“Laura was a dear friend,” tweeted PA Representative Mike Turzai last Tuesday.  “Like so many others, my wife, Lidia, and I are so saddened… so crushed really… by her passing. She was just a fun, loving, joyous person, a great mom and a friend and confidante to many. She enjoyed every moment of her too short life.”

“She loved harder than anybody we’ve ever known,” Ditka’s sister-in-law, Sam Ditka, told the Post-Gazette. “She was a tremendous mother who encouraged everyone around her to live with no fear.”

“I am most thankful that we did have a chance to honor her,” said Tobia.  “To celebrate her accomplishments as an NA alum with a gala, flowers, friends and family.  None of us would have guessed that we would lose her so soon, but I am eternally grateful for the chance to know her, and that our students had a chance to meet her.”

Governor Wolf ordered Allegheny county public centers to fly flags at half-mast in remembrance.  Services were held for family and friends last Monday, where contributions to Gwen’s Girls and Pittsburgh Action Against Rape were made.  Attendees were asked to wear bright colors to honor her memory.