Makeup for Breakups

Makeup for Breakups

Photo by Carissa Ackison

Photo by Carissa Ackison

Photo by Carissa Ackison

Carissa Ackison

It’s been a bit since breakup season ended, but just because it’s over doesn’t mean your relationship is immune.

“What’s breakup season?” you ask. Well, luckily for you, I’m going to save you the trouble of looking it up and just give you the handy-dandy Urban Dictionary definition, which always seems to have the answers to our questions about life (especially the answers to questions we didn’t ask and definitely didn’t want.) Oh, it’s also super accurate all the time.

Breakup season is around late September through early/mid October. It’s obviously when most couples break up (hints the name),” explains user ‘He’s SO ANNOYING.’

You’d think that, because of that opener, this article would be about ways to try and keep your relationship going and full of love and blah blah blah, but I didn’t want to write about that. Instead, I’ll tell you nine top-notch, foolproof ways to get over that breakup, assuming you’re going through one. If not, I don’t know why you’re reading this.

Tip Number 1

One of the best things you can do is surround yourself with your closest friends. They’ll be there for you when you’re not doing well and will give you a safe place to be. Have an event you used to go to with your old boo? Bring along your friend this time instead! They’ll replace the bad memories with some new, precious ones.

Tip Number 2

Filling your schedule with the things you enjoy doing can help take everything off your mind, even if it is just for a little bit. Distractions are good! They are a healthy way to cope, as long as you still acknowledge that you’re having problems and don’t just completely ignore them.

Tip Number 3

Remember to take your time with healing; forcing it to go faster makes everything worse. Also, don’t lie to yourself about where you are in the process. When that lie crashes and you realize that you’re not as okay as you thought you were, it’ll feel like all the progress you made has crumbled way.

Tip Number 4

Cry yourself to sleep every night until you get over it…that’s a joke, sort of. Do not bottle up your emotions. I repeat: do NOT bottle up your emotions. If you need to cry yourself to sleep every single night in order to get over it, then do that! Let out your feelings in safe manners.

Tip Number 5

Something you’re going to want to do is get rid of everything your ex gave you and everything that reminds you of them. Rid your life of the toxin that the memory creates. It’s healthy and can, possibly, help speed up the process of getting over them.

Tip Number 6

You have the right to be a little bit impulsive, to an extent!! Go bleach and dye your hair, or buy that expensive thing you’ve been eyeing! Treat yo self. Considering you are probably a high school student, don’t run away to some other state to get away from everything. However, if you’re an adult reading this, go ahead and do it if you’re able to and have really thought about it.

Tip Number 7

Hmm. This number being associated with a breakup reminds me of something from the past, but what could it be? Oh! That’s right. Make sure you listen to all those good breakup songs to help pull out all your feels. Especially, Miley Cyrus’s song “7 Things.”

Tip Number 8

Yabba dabba don’t rebound! It will hurt you and the person you did it to. It’s a bad move and will just make you seem like a gross person. Instead, rebound with a nice tub of your favorite ice cream.

Tip Number 9

This last one is probably the coolest thing you can do, and it’s to flex on them real hard, boy. Muster up all the confidence you have left and just flaunt it. Show that you’re strong and independent, and something like this can’t put you down.

Aren’t those some real top-notch tips? In all seriousness, though, breakups can be very detrimental for some people, and I ask you to be please be patient with someone going through one. While these tips have helped people I know and myself, everyone heals differently and needs different things. Please be mindful of this and be there for them.

Carissa Ackison, Reporter

Carissa Ackison is a junior at NASH. She is a banner carrier for the school's marching band and carries it with pride. In her free time, she enjoys drawing,...