Rants and Raves: Midterms

Are midterms “testing” your patience?

George Ivory and Hailey Wachowiak

Rant: Midterms are basically finals layered with a PG name in order to prevent students from aging over the hill. If midterms were a person, I would feel bad for them since they would be overshadowed by their older sibling known as finals. However, this is an overshadowed sibling that gets their glorious chance in the spotlight once a year, only to be quickly overshadowed again. — Geo

Rave: Everyone else is probably in the same boat as you. You never have to go far if you need a person to reassure you that they also failed. Or, if you did well, you don’t have to go far to find another person that did the same. –Hailey 

Rant: Why do the teachers always make them so many points? They know that I have to study for other classes but still pound on the question load. The worst is when there are fewer questions that are each worth more points, so you miss one, and you are already down 2-6 points. It’s just so stressful. — Hailey 

Rave: In some classes, teachers will offer students time to study for midterms for either their class or other classes. This allows students to do that last minute cramming that raises their confidence, even if their failure is certain. — Geo

Rant: Everyone has experienced an event in their life that looms on the horizon, good or bad — whether it be an important game, a family reunion, or a graduation. Midterms, while not as important as some of these, loom ominously on the horizon. As this horizon approaches reality, students break into a sweat as their closely guarded grades are put in eminent danger. — Geo 

Rave: Not all teachers do midterms. My Chem teacher didn’t give us a midterm; instead she gave us a lot of class work to sum up what we had done so far. Other teachers assign group projects, and, depending on the class, some don’t even have them. — Hailey