Connection Addiction

Has technology changed us, socially, for the best, or the worst?

Ashley Borg, Reporter

Looking around at the world we live in today, we can easily concluded that basically everything is built around or from technology. Apple CarPlay, Alexa, computers, iPads, high alert security, phone trackers, and so much more. Technology has embedded its way into our lives and, for most, it has become a source of life. The age when we get our first phone is getting younger, and the need to have one on your person all the time is growing as phones grow more advanced. Indeed, it gives the individual a lot of power; however, is this power getting to be too much? Is this advanced technology corrupting the way we are and what it is to be human?

Looking at the stereotypical teenager’s phone, in 2019, you would most likely find the usual Snapchat, Instagram, possibly some games, and maybe even VSCO. Social media apps allow us to connect with people all over the world and post to millions of others what we are doing in our daily lives. But what happened to the days when one would just spend time with the people they love and care about instead of feeling the need to post it on the “gram” to get hundreds of likes? Sure, these apps are amazing and give you a lot to do in your spare time, but what happens when spare time turns into an everyday habit, which then will eventually lead to an addiction?

Think about the last time you hung out with your friends and think about how you were all sitting around having a conversation. During that entire day was there anyone in the group who did not touch or even look on their phone while you were in the midst of a conversation? For adults, this may be possible but for kids and teenagers of this age, I have a feeling the answer to the question was most likely no. I can definitely say as a senior in high school, that I can not remember a time when my friends and I did not check our Snaps or Instagram. We do it so much that it has become natural. Anytime the conversation becomes slow or there is nothing to do, BAM! You see everyone’s heads become glued to the white screen glowing in their lap.

In a way, it is kind of scary to see people becoming dependent on technology. Have you ever had your phone taken away? Or ever had it die in the middle of the day and you are without a charger? For me, it is almost the worst feeling in the world. I suddenly feel disconnected from those around me. Especially for teenagers today, our world is sitting in the palm of our hands, and when taken away we feel vulnerable or in a way we feel naked; exposed. Technology has become our safety bubble. It has become a place to hide in when we are uncomfortable. Where has the adventure and thrill of the unknown in life gone?

Looking towards the future, is technology really the solution? Yes, there is no stopping the wave of technology that is here and further on coming, but there is a way where we can slow down and leave some time during the day to just sit and look at what is real and what is right in front of our faces. Technology has become a need for the world and without it, honestly social experiences have become awkward or uncomfortable. If you look around, you can also hear the difference in the conversation. People are even talking in text language now. From saying “lol” to even using sayings like “smh”. I plead guilty to the fact that I am so used to using text language that I have caught myself writing an email or an essay that I would turn in and instead of using “you” I simply typed the letter “u”. Ten or twelve years ago you would have never heard text language being used in a conversation with a professor today.

It is crazy how technology has changed our way of life. It has become a tool to have access to anything in the world.  It has become a self-marketing tool, a platform to hide behind and a place to create a bubble of safety from the outside world. So in the end, what is your view? Has technology corrupted the world we live in today, or is it simply just a tool that you see as an accessory and you swear it has no control over you at all?