Extra-Oar-Dinary

Meet the girls’ team captain of this lesser-known NA sport

Anjana Suresh, Junior Class Co-Editor

Megan Kelly, a senior at NASH and the captain of the Girls’ Rowing Team, recently sat down with the Uproar to talk about her time and experiences with NA Rowing. 

How long have you been rowing?

I have been rowing for 4 years.

Why did you join the team, and how did you find out about the sport?

My mom found out and forced me to do it, and I had to choose between rowing or getting a job. Obviously, rowing was a good choice.

What sort of role do you take on as the captain this year?

I make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing during practice and at races, and in the fall and spring, I teach the freshmen who are new to the sport how to rig, de-rig, and strap boats to our trailer for races.

What do you like most about the sport?

The friendships I’ve made over the years.

What’s your favorite race and favorite boat you’ve rowed so far?

A double at Midwest last spring with Jenna Brandt, a junior who is sadly not on the team anymore.

Are you planning to row in college?

It depends on where I go. I have talked to coaches at the University of Tampa, High Point University, Stockton University, Mercyhurst, Marietta College, and Xavier.

What will you miss most about NA rowing once you graduate?

Definitely a select few of my teammates.

Rowing is definitely not as recognized at NA as some of the other sports, and rowers work just as hard, if not harder. Does this bother you?

Agreed, and it does bother me a lot. We should definitely get the same recognition as other sports at NA

What is something you want everyone to know about NA rowing or just rowing in general?

It’s a sport that sucks so much sometimes, but it’s all worth it in the end — especially when you win a race. Winter training is definitely the worst part since it’s a year round sport.

Do you have any advice for anyone looking to try out the sport?

It’s definitely going to be a challenge to learn how to row and get the hang of the stroke in the beginning, and it can be frustrating, but you will improve tremendously in a very short amount of time, and hopefully, you will learn to enjoy it. Our team also holds Learn-to-Row events in the summer for anyone interested in joining.

Answers have been edited for clarity.