Good Talk: Señor DiBacco

Meet the most multi-lingual person you’ll probably ever meet

Cassidy Kufner, Reporter

Where all have you traveled abroad or lived?

I have traveled and lived in Belmonte Calabro, Italy — that’s my home away from home. Bologna, Italy, is where I studied and lived when I attended the University of Bologna. Then, I studied in Málaga, Spain; I lived there for one year with a host family. I also studied and lived for a year in Toulouse, France and lived with a family there. I’ve spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires, Argentina because part of my family lives there and also Québec, Canada, where another part of my family lives.

How many languages do you speak?

I speak five, technically. Italian was my first language, followed by English as far as schooling, but I was always around Spanish and French. I also speak a dialect of our province in Italy.

Do you have a favorite language?

I can give you my least favorite language! English, just because culturally, it’s the one that I least identify with.

Is it difficult not getting the languages mixed up?

Except for English, the other languages are all Romance languages, so it takes me a second to switch gears. Each language represents a different world for me, and when I’m in that world, I don’t think outside of that box. Sometimes, if I’m talking about something I’m really passionate about, I’ll think of the right word in Italian or Spanish before English.

How is living in West Virginia? Is it difficult getting to school every day?

It is — the commute is not fun, but luckily, I don’t do it twelve months out of the year. I didn’t mind it at first, but now, this is my 22nd year. I do it because of strong family ties. When my family moved from Italy, they moved to West Virginia and became part of the already-existing, very strong Italian community there. There is a very strong sense of community, connection, and roots.

What do you wish people knew about learning another language?

If they never study another language and its culture, they are limiting themselves to a much more boring life, a not as enjoyable of a life. They don’t know what they’re missing — they’re really limiting their life’s enjoyment by never connecting with another language and culture. We’re last on the list as far as how many languages the typical American speaks, one.

Which do you enjoy more, Spanish Club or Italian Club?

I can’t choose; I enjoy them both immensely! My favorite part is spending time interacting with the students on more of a social level, and with hands on culture, it extends our learning beyond the classroom in a fun way.

What is your favorite Italian cuisine?

I have many, many favorites. It’s very difficult to have an Italian pick his favorite Italian cuisine. I like Neapolitan stuffed mussels, stuffed eggplant, and real Italian pizza.

Where is the best Italian pizza in this area?
Il Pizzaiolo!

How did you end up meeting your wife in IKEA?

I flew through IKEA on an in-service day in late August, and I was instantly mesmerized by this young lady who was flipping through a pile of pink rugs. I decided to hang out in the area for a while and hope for a miracle. At that point, someone who really knew her saw her, and she sounded Italian, so that was extra points for me. Then, I heard her talking about studying in Mexico to study abroad for her Spanish degree. The rest is history.

If you weren’t a teacher, what career would you choose?

International law.

What’s your favorite part of your job?

Sharing my insight, experiences, and love for the languages I teach with young, excited minds.