Into the Wee Hours

Preparations for Post Prom 2019 are well underway

Samantha Solenday, Assignments Editor

As Prom season comes into full swing, the Parent Post Prom Committee remains hard at work. This group of volunteers has been coordinating the Post Prom event since early October, securing food donations, buying and making decorations, and raising enough funds to cover all of these activities and more — including picking this year’s theme, “We are Family — Pittsburgh”.

Post Prom is funded almost entirely through parent and community donations, which helps to keep the event’s cost to only an additional $10 on top of Prom tickets.

The Post Prom’s fundraising chair, Emily Skopov, is energetically planning events to help raise the money. Currently, there is a “Monday at Monte’s” (Wexford Monte Cello’s) fundraiser in the works, as well as black and gold lanyard sales during lunches and a local chili cook-off planned for Sunday. 

For the Monte Cello’s fundraiser, customers can dine in or take out on any and all Mondays leading up to Prom. As long as they mention they are supporting NA Post Prom, 20% of the cost will be donated to the event.

The chili cook-off already has a few local celebrities entered in the competition.  

“We have several local police and fire departments entered in the chili competition, as well as the Allegheny County Executive, Rich Fitzgerald, and a few parents from various organizations,” said Skopov. “We are also awaiting confirmation from a few other representatives of local organizations.”

The cook-off will be held on Sunday, April 14th from 4-7pm at Elias Fry Barn at Knob Hill Community Park. Tickets for students are $10 and $20 for adults. Tickets are sold here and at the door.

If families would simply rather contribute money to the cause, they can donate here or write a check payable to NASH POST PROM 2019 and send it into NASH.

Skopov is also leading initiatives to sell black and gold lanyards and start a tiger paw project.

“There wasn’t anyone available to focus on fundraising for Post Prom until I started just a few weeks ago,” said Skopov, who noted that the group is looking to make up for lost time before Prom arrives.

Above all, Skopov and her group of parent volunteers are focusing the fundraising campaign on how Post Prom is a safe and fun way for Prom attendees to ensure that the special night does not end too soon.