Good Talk: Mr. Maddix

Meet the Worldly Mr. Maddix

Sofia Ackerman, Copy Editor

What was your dream career going into college?

I don’t remember having a specific career goal going into college. I actually switched majors a few times. I started as a Chemistry major, then switched to Math, and finally settled on History.

How long have you been at NASH?

I started at NASH in the fall of 1997.

What classes have you taught at NASH? Why did you choose those subjects?

I will teach whatever I am asked to teach and would volunteer to teach just about anything. I enjoy the process of learning new subject matter. I have taught Sociology, American History, American Government, East Asian History, European History, and Psychology.

Where have you lived?

I was born in England, moved to New York when I was 5.  I Moved to Sydney, Australia when I was 10, Tokyo, Japan at 15, and back to New York when I was 17 to finish high school. I went to college in upstate New York and ended up at Pitt for graduate school.

What was your favorite place to live?

I truly enjoyed each place at each stage of my life. Living in New York for elementary school introduced me to American culture. Australia was a fantastic place to be as a young kid who enjoyed sports, because it never rained. There was actually a drought that lasted two years in Sydney during the time that I was there. It probably wasn’t good for the environment, but it kept me running around playing rugby, cricket, soccer, baseball, or whatever every day. Japan was a great place to be as a teen. Tokyo was incredibly safe and the public transportation system gave my friends and me a great amount of freedom to explore the city and culture. My favorite place to live, though, is the United States. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to live, work, and raise a family in this country.

In what ways were they different?

Actually, I think that what I learned is that there are more similarities in people in those cultures and ours than differences.

Have you taught at any other schools before NASH? What were they like?

My first teaching job was at the Kildonan School on the New York / Connecticut border. It is a school for children with dyslexia. It was a very rewarding experience, and I probably would have stayed had it not been for the opportunity to come to North Allegheny.

What do you like to do for fun outside of school?

These days fun is watching my three sons do things that they enjoy.

You were a baseball coach for many years; do you miss coaching?

I haven’t had to figure that out yet. Since leaving high school coaching, I’ve probably been around the game more than ever. My 11 and 8 year old are both playing. Last year I coached my 8 year old. This year I’m coaching my 11 year old, and I’ve also been coaching some AAU teams on the side.

Is it true that you have dual citizenship?

I don’t have dual citizenship. When you become an American citizen, you renounce allegiance to all foreign powers. America doesn’t recognize my former British citizenship.