Living in the Steel City

Hannah Shiflett, Reporter

Having grown up in many different states, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has its own unique atmosphere that I have never seen in any place I’ve lived in or visited. I’ve lived from states boasting the hottest deserts to those with the wettest climate, to the coldest and sunniest, I’ve lived in them all. All of these factors contribute to my own personal opinion of living here in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has what I call a nice combination of different elements. It has its sunny moments, but it’s not sunny to the point where everyone stays trapped in their houses. The city also has the cold wintry elements of snow and swift breezes but not enough where everything freezes. While it does rain a lot here, it all results in a very beautiful and lush filled land. But it isn’t just the land and weather that make Pittsburgh such a beautiful place to live in; it’s the culture that thrives in this city, and it’s the people that make living in Pittsburgh the greatest thing ever.

The culture here in Pittsburgh is incredible and unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Often times, the places I visit are segregated by neighborhoods, but here in Pittsburgh, you can have a Mediterranean store right next to a Hispanic or an Asian store. It’s not segregated, and this makes it very convenient for people, such as myself, who enjoy eating different types of foods from different cultures and learning more about those cultures. Then, there is a unique language that only ever occurs here in Pittsburgh. Hearing the iconic Yinz/Yinzer is obviously something that is solely unique to Pittsburgh, and it was developed by the incredible diversity of Pittsburgh.

The fact that Pittsburgh is so welcoming towards people who come from out of town makes it that much more special. Pittsburgh opens its arms for people who come from different cities, states, or countries and tells them that they are all welcomed here. Despite the tragic shooting that occurred at the Tree of Life Synagogue, many people in the city of Pittsburgh gathered together to help the families of those who lost their lives, and even the state of Pennsylvania passed laws to help protect people. This is a city that does a lot to involve people from the community.

When it comes to the school, NASH has proven itself to be one of the top schools in Allegheny County. It’s not just that the programs are incredible and designed for the students, but also that the teachers are dedicated to helping students create an incredible relationship that makes learning enjoyable. Also, the students here at NASH are incredible. Sure, there may be some ups and downs that occur among a group of students, but when students surround themselves with those who bring them up, they are often times more likely to thrive socially. Plus, NASH has a way of coming together to help the community, with events such as TigerThon. In March, we were able to raise over $100,000 for pediatric cancer. And there’s always sporting events where we can wear our black and gold and cheer on our fellow classmates.

Having lived all over the country and having attended all different types of schools, I can confidently say that Pittsburgh has been one of my favorites. This city is my home now — it has taught me love, and I have learned who I truly am.