My Way / Amber Vora

My Way / Amber Vora

photo by Kaycee Orwig

photo by Kaycee Orwig

photo by Kaycee Orwig

Amber Vora, Staff Writer

There are certain milestones in life when you know that nothing will ever be the same. November 12, 2016 was one of these moments.

I distinctly remember the butterflies wreaking havoc inside of my stomach and the fear of the unknown that caused my head to ache. I was starting my first job with no prior knowledge of what to expect. Puzzled, I stumbled into the restaurant that was soon going to become my second home.

My training started, and I was no less confused about what was expected of me than before I had signed on. I continuously messed up and caused the other employees distress. I would forget to assign tables or become instantly speechless when trying to interact with a customer. Every time I made a mistake, I wanted to hide in a closet and never come out.

But after a few months, I progressed and soon was scheduled to work more days. That was a good sign, except I was still in school. Balancing a part-time job with school had become one of the biggest challenges I had yet to face. I planned to do as much homework at school as possible so that I could go to work and not have to worry about it.

However, junior year lived up to its reputation of being the hardest of them all.  I knew that, in order to keep up my grades, I would have to stay up after work to study. All I wanted to do after a long day at school and work was sleep, but I made a promise to myself that I could get through it. As long as I stayed up, so would my grades.

When it came to scheduling for my senior year, I took my work schedule into consideration. At first, I didn’t want to challenge myself for fear that school and my job would become too much — until I remembered that I never wanted to take the easy way out of anything.

I went to school and learned in all of my subjects, and then I went to work and learned about the real world.”

I’ve always been infatuated with pushing myself to the breaking point, so that is exactly what I decided to do. I went to school and learned in all of my subjects, and then I went to work and learned about the real world.

Being the youngest one working at the restaurant has forced me to mature faster and learn about people with real-life problems. I have learned the importance of money and how hard it really is to make it. I know how to handle customers who are angry and have quickly learned that the customer is always right no matter what. I have made new friends who treat me like an adult and have my back all the time.

I worked even more over the summer; which at first enraged me. But soon, I was thankful that I had something to do. It got to the point where I actually looked forward to making the 10-minute drive to work. The paychecks made it even more exciting, each one being even more satisfying than the previous. I’ve been saving everything for college, so I can hopefully get a good education and a steady job.

I am a strong believer in the Butterfly Effect — that one small event can lead to something on a much larger scale. If I hadn’t applied, or had missed the interview, or had quit after messing up so much, I would not be anywhere near the same person I am today. I now understand the importance of time management, money, and friendship.

Although this has turned out to be harder than I could ever have imagined, I do not regret any of it. School has always been the only thing I ever did. I would go to school, come home and do homework, and that’s it. But I didn’t know all of the world I was missing until I got this job.

Amber Vora, Staff Writer

Amber Vora is a senior at North Allegheny.  Amber has been writing fiction since the age of ten but has decided to enter the world of journalism. Her...