In a Fog

New vaping policy aims to clear the air

Josie Wadlow, Editor-in-Chief

The endless cycle of walking into the NASH restrooms and having to swat away plumes of strawberry-smelling vapor just to do your business might soon be over. This school year, new vaping policies have been added to the district’s Code of Conduct. All students caught vaping or carrying a vaping device will now find themselves facing the same consequences as those found with illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, or alcohol.

“I think the policy will encourage students not to vape,” Allena Carmody said. “It promotes the overall health of the students and points them in the right direction for their future.”

Yet Sebastian Oberhauser disagreed. “I feel that, if people are addicted, they need somewhere to go,” the senior said. “I mean, the bathroom is better than any of the classrooms. I think it should be treated on a lesser level than drugs.”

The rule was enacted internally by the School Board, and NASH adminstration promptly took action.

“I recognized vaping was an issue a few months into my position back in 2015 when I first came to NA,” NASH Principal John Kreider said. “The number of incidents that were reported to me was significant. Not alarming, but significant enough to the point where we knew we had to track and monitor more closely.”

Vaping is relatively new, so there is not much in the way of research to give the public insight into the long-term health effects. However, dangerous oils that are easy to inhale can be placed into a vaping device. Chemicals such as bath salts and K2 can be mixed into the vape juice and then easily put into the device itself. Besides the obvious issue of use of illegal substances, another issue the administrators have come across is the fact that synthetic drugs are not traceable. The chemical composition of those drugs changes quickly, so there are no drug-testing kits for them.

“Vaping may be less harmful than smoking cigarettes, but it is not harmless,” Student Assistance Coordinator Jeff Longo said.

While not every vaping device contains illegal substances, the School Board and building administration feel it is best to take strong action toward preventing the unhealthy habit from taking root in the school. Students caught with a vaping device will face a minimum six-day out-of-school suspension and will be required to participate in a drug and alcohol assessment administered by an alcohol and drug agency.

However, the administrators feel the new rule should not present a disruption within the school.

“Kids recognize the line of behavior that is unacceptable and really unacceptable,” Kreider added. “I think they recognize that there are some behaviors that will have a significant impact on their future, and I think many of our students are very conscious of their future and try to make good decisions now to protect themselves in the future.”

The hope is that, during students’ daily trips to the bathroom, there will be less fog and more open stalls.