Good Talk: Mr. Venezia

Meet the AP US History teacher who turned from training sea lions to teaching high school juniors

Lily Courville, Staff Writer

How many years have you been teaching and have you always taught at NASH?

I’ve been teaching for 22 years and I’ve been at NASH since 2001, so that would be 18 years I’ve been here. 

How did you decide to become a teacher? Did you always want to be one growing up?

Actually, when I went to college, I was originally an environmental science major, but I didn’t like a lot of the generic math and science classes I had to take and I wasn’t good at it. So I went undeclared and became a history major because I always liked the subject. We didn’t have to declare specifically until junior year. Afterwards, I decided to go back to school to become a teacher. So I got my degree before I knew what I wanted to do, which is weird.

If you had any other job besides a high school teacher, what would it be?

That’s tough. Originally, what got me interested in environmental studies was that I was an animal trainer at an aquarium. I did seal and sea lion shows, and I really liked that. So I would choose something in that sort of direction, maybe zoology or marine biology. 

What’s your favorite U.S. history lesson to teach? Why?

My favorite one?! I love them all equally! No, that’s nonsense. Some are more interesting than others. I’ve always been a fan of the imperialism and the World War I time period, particularly when it comes to foreign affairs, like the emergence of America onto the world stage.

Share your weirdest experience as a teacher at NASH.

The weirdest experience that I had was within the first few years that I was here. There was a series of hurricanes that came through — Hurricane Connie and Hurricane Ivan. They knocked out power and caused flooding throughout Pittsburgh. Students were leaving early, and it was just kind of crazy because everyone I knew was stranded in different places.  

What are your hobbies outside of school?

Wow! Well, I’m an avid reader. Of course. All history teachers are avid readers. I like to work out. I am a volunteer of the American Red Cross, and I do disaster relief through them. That plus my family keeps me busy.

I understand you were once on Jeopardy.  Tell us about your experience on the show.

Yeah, I didn’t do very well. But it was a great experience, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I don’t really watch the show much anymore because of the PTSD. But I’m glad I did it.

What’s your favorite movie? 

There are too many to choose!

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

Time travel, because I’m a history teacher! I could go forward and help people, backwards and save people, change the course of history. For sure.

Share a few items on your bucket list. 

Number one is to travel. I haven’t done a whole lot of traveling, but I’d really like to. I’m waiting for my kids to get a little older, and then my wife and I are going to take off and do all kinds of stuff. Running a marathon was on the bucket list, but I think that’ will have to just remain there. I don’t see that happening. 

If you could meet any famous person, dead or alive, who would you choose and why?

Thomas Jefferson, absolutely. I’d love to get a sense of why he did some of the things that he did. I think he was one of the smartest people in all of US history. I would love to get a glimpse of what the Founding Fathers really intended, and I think he would be a good person to ask.

What is one piece of advice you would give to NASH students?

Whatever it is that you’re going to do with your life, make sure it’s something you enjoy. If you love what you do, it isn’t working, and that’s what you want.