Good Talk: Mrs. Failla

Phoebe Liu, Staff Writer

What were your interests in high school? 

In high school, I was primarily involved in athletics. I was a gymnast, played volleyball, and ran track. I was also on the Yearbook staff with Ms. Beatty back in the day, and I loved my Photography classes.

What do you like to do in your free time? 

I love spending my free time with my kids, watching them participate in their activities, or just hanging out at home. I also try to get to R.A.W. (Realize the Athlete Within) Training when I can. It is my happy place, with such a great community of people, and I love their training methods and classes.

Do you have any cool hobbies or activities? 

Nothing terribly cool, but I do enjoy gardening and landscaping. I am sure I planted close to 50 different shrubs and perennials in my yard this summer. I went a little overboard digging in the dirt.

If you retired tomorrow, what would you do with your life? 

If I retired tomorrow, I would buy a tiny home and haul it to a small beach town.  I grew up going to Rehoboth Beach in Delaware and it is one of my favorite places, so I would probably end up there. I’d put all I’ve learned from HGTV into practice and get into flipping houses or go back to teaching yoga again– something I spent a lot of time doing before my second kid was born.

Favorite TV show or movie? 

I am obsessed with any programming on HGTV. My favorites are Fixer UpperRestored with the Fords, and Property Brothers. I wish I could be Joanna Gaines or Leanne Ford for a day. I love them.  Friends and Seinfeld are my classic favorites.

What is your favorite food? 

I will never turn away any kind of fish or seafood. If you have not tried a Mission Mahi Food Truck fish taco, you should. They are incredible– I recommend the Original with avocado and tomato. Another favorite is the Failla family meatball and pasta sauce recipe. Delish!

What career would you have if you weren’t a teacher?

Interior design or real estate. See? I am obsessed with HGTV.

How long have you been teaching? How many years at NASH?

I was a School Counselor for the first 8 years of my career spending time at Freedom Area, Vincentian Academy (I taught IB Psychology for 2 years there), and Seneca Valley. This is my 15th year teaching at NASH, but I have coached (gymnastics and volleyball) in some capacity in the district for at least 20 years.

Any advice for current students?

Go outside and play as much as you can. There is some cool stuff to see if you just look around.

What is your favorite part about psychology? What topic do you enjoy teaching the most? 

Psychology is something everyone can relate to — his or her own and others’ thinking and behavior.  No matter what you do in the future with a career, you will always have to understand, communicate, and deal with all different types of people. Psychology can help students think about their own thinking and reflect upon how they approach challenges in their own life.  My favorite topics are social psychology, cognition, and biological bases of behavior.