The Counselor’s Office

It’s unfortunate that so many students do not take advantage of the wisdom and resources that are so close at hand.

Mia Capretta, Staff Writer

When most teenagers think of how they want to spend their last few years in high school, it’s no secret that the Counseling Office isn’t really a place that is a part of that vision. The school counselors are widely misconstrued to students. The office is foreign to a lot of kids because they feel they will appear strange or troubled to their peers if they spend a lot of time with their counselor. I was definitely a part of these masses. I had no idea that one short visit to this office would change the way I looked at high school.

Unlike the majority of my friends, applying to college was something I avoided for as long as I possibly could.  I was playing a very dangerous game. I knew eventually senior year would roll around and I would be stuck picking up the pieces of my procrastination, but I wasn’t quite sure where to begin. 

But it soon came time to start my journey into the absolute chaos of getting my college career started much quicker than I wanted to acknowledge. I needed help. I knew my counselor’s name, and I knew she was supposed to be able to wave her magic wand and help me commit to my top schools. So I decided I would venture into that dimly lit, mysterious-looking office and see what she could do.

I was immediately met with one helpful resource after another. I was shocked by my counselor’s ability to calm my anxiety. I told her a little bit about what types of schools I was interested in, and she built a fitting list of schools for me almost immediately.

I was compelled to ask how she knew so much about these different schools. 

“It took me 4 to 5 years to feel confident in recommending schools to students,” she said. “We analyze the Naviance charts, sit with college reps every day and take notes, and some colleges even fly us in and host us.”

I immediately knew I was in the right place to get all my questions answered.  I have since become a frequent visitor to the office and have been consistently surprised at the level of expertise that all of the NASH counselors have in this area. 

Not only was it easy for me to feel more assured in my place when it came to my college search, but my counselor has also willing to help me in other aspects of high school. Regardless of the reason for my visit, she is patient, understanding, and realistic – not especially common traits that teenagers experience with adults.

When I asked her about what she wanted students to take away from the Counseling Department, her response was telling.

“When we get to know our kids, it is easier to recommend schools,” she said. “We are not the discipline people, and we are not scary. We want to get to know kids and we want to help them. Unfortunately, in a school this big it’s on you guys to sign up and make appointments to meet us.”