In Memory of Ryan McCutcheon

Ryan McCutcheon, a sophomore at Robert Morris University, drummer at Nomad Indoor Percussion, and NA graduate, was tragically killed in a car crash on Ohio River Boulevard on the night of Saturday, September 30. McCutcheon was a percussion teacher at Hampton and was driving back from Hampton to the RMU campus.  

McCutcheon, or “Cutch,” as his friends called him, was a phenomenal percussionist, a talented all-around musician, and a creative, intelligent and dedicated young man.  

I had the honor and privilege of marching alongside Ryan as a freshman and sophomore in high school. Everyone admired his immense skill, leadership and work ethic as Drum Captain. He was perpetually driven to make himself a better musician and a better person. Never did I see him in a bad mood — he always came to practice with a smile on his face, ready to lead and help the drumline and underclassmen.

His impact on the NA Band program was tremendous. He shaped me and so many other percussionists into great musicians and future leaders. He was always an outgoing person and a role model and a friend to so many. Cutch’s work ethic and happy-go-lucky attitude were an inspiration to family and friends and anyone who ever had the honor of knowing him.

Ryan will never be forgotten — he lives on through stories, pictures, memories, and the adventures his family and friends had with him. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Rest in peace, Cutch, rockin’ it on the drums in heaven now.