Last Lights Of The Season

The loss to Pine-Richland in the WPIAL semifinal brought an end to the season but not to the pride.

Hannah Ledrick, Staff Writer

The North Allegheny Football Team had an outstanding season with ten wins and two losses. The season started with nine undefeated games, but every game was played with heart. While some players will go on to play football in college, many played their final football game on Friday, November 8 at Pine-Richland High School in the WPIAL seminfinals.

Senior Gabe Diulus, a right guard, commented on his experience as his last year comes to a close.

“I would say that football has really shaped me into the person I am and taught me many life lessons and the brotherhood that we had was unbelievable,” Diulus said. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world and I love all of those guys.” 

For all those involved in the Friday night football tradition, it is bittersweet when the season comes to a close. Whether they participate in playing the game, cheering on the sidelines, playing an instrument, dancing, twirling, or cheering as fans in the stands, football is a sport that brings people from all walks of life together for a night. 

For center Ben Grafton, the season was “unlike any other.”

Grafton added, “The way we came together as a family was incredible. I never thought that I could call this many guys my brothers.” 

Even with numerous starters injured, the Tigers still had a great season. The first loss was to the Pine Richland Rams on Friday, October 25th. The game ended with a final score of 42-14. 

Following the Pine-Richland regular season game, North Allegheny played in the WPIAL Quarterfinals with a strong win of 48-7 against Canon-McMillan.  The semifinal match to follow, however, was a different story.

Considering the number of injuries on NA’s starting lineup, the Tigers played a good game against the Rams.  North Allegheny played their final game of the season against the Rams ending with a score of 14-49. 

“I think it was a fair game,” defensive end Hayden Sheets said. “While we were playing it, it didn’t feel fair, but it was. It really came down to the fact that we had a lot of guys hurt and their roster was completely healthy. It’s not an excuse as to why we lost, but it was just unlucky and the Rams played a good game.”

Not everyone was happy with the course of this final game. In regards to WPIAL games, certain rules must be followed. For instance, the NA cheerleaders were restricted from wearing face paint and hanging signs, but this was not the case for the opposing team. 

Spectators noticed the violation of additional WPIAL rules — namely, the hanging of signs or banners during playoff games and biased announcing. The PIAA handbook states, ‘No banners, pictures or handheld signs carried into the contest….signs/banners promoting school spirit may be suspended to team bleachers.” 

In addition, the rules state, “It is respectfully requested that reports of any accidents, injuries, or other incidents be minimized and factual, in order to prevent undue anxiety on the part of listeners and/or viewers.” 

That was not the case at the PR game, as multiple injured NA players were announced.

This is not to say that Pine-Richland did not play the better game on November 8. But a loss hurts enough — the complication of PIAA rule violations only adds to the disappointment.

Yet, as this season is now over, those who participated in the Friday night tradition will never forget the experience.