All Business

A staggering total of 89 DECA members have qualified for the state tournament next month.

All+Business

Phoebe Liu, Staff Writer

The success of today’s society revolves heavily around business, which is essential to daily life. Without businesses, the economy would not run efficiently, or produce and sell what consumers want. The ever-important skills that are associated with business should be learned at a young age. It is not hard at all to gain and sharpen business skills– something that DECA aims to teach young adults through competitions. 

Founded in 1946, DECA has constantly been on the rise and has impacted the lives of over ten million students, educators, and business professionals. Pennsylvania DECA alone has over 4,500 members and 85 chapters, one of which is North Allegheny. DECA prepares high schoolers and college students to become emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality, and management. The competitions are comprised of three different levels: districts, states, and internationals. 

NA DECA is advised by Mrs. Sullivan and is made up of all high school grade levels for the first year ever. The club was previously available to only juniors and seniors but has since expanded to allow all students to begin to gain useful business, communication, and leadership skills.

“Over the last several years DECA has been trying to increase enrollment,” Sullivan said. “Now, anyone who is interested can join instead of only marketing or business students. I wanted to get more kids involved even though I was hesitant because of the logistics of two buildings and I just decided to go for it and wanted kids to be able to experience the positive benefits of DECA.”

DECA first began at NA in 1975 and has seen continued growth and success yearly with the total number of members this year reaching 142 up from 113 last year and numbers doubling within the past five years. 

“DECA can benefit students regardless of career path they choose to take,” Sullivan added. “Now that it is open to all interested students, I am meeting so many students that I normally wouldn’t have the opportunity to meet.” 

Students pick either an individual or team event and compete at districts every December. Each event consists of a role play in front of judges, in addition to a 100-question multiple choice test on the specific cluster. The top three finishers in individual events qualify for states, while the top two teams qualifying for team events.

The NA chapter recently competed at districts along with the other District 2 schools on December 16, 2019. All of the hard work paid off, as students received 64 awards. 89 students across written events will also be attending states in February in Hershey, PA. 

“Ever since the beginning of summer vacation, we have been slowly but surely planning for states, and we are so excited for everyone to be there,” NA DECA Co-President and State Officer Peter Van Osdol said. 

At states, students also have the option to participate in written events, which require essays, project plans, and presentations to judges at the competition. DECA members who place in the top four at states advance to internationals, which is held at a different city each year. The ICDC has been held previously in Anaheim and Orlando, but will return to Nashville this year. 

For many students, DECA is about more than just the fun experiences at the various conferences.

“DECA really challenges me to go out of my comfort zone and  into a world that I have no experience with,” junior Chase Davidson said. “It helps students with uncomfortable situations which we practice in roleplays. “ 

Hershey is up next, and considering the success the club has experienced so far this year, it would not be surprising to see more than a few qualify for internationals.