Good Talk: Magistra Ramsey

Get to know NASH’s beloved Latin teacher!

Maria Cima, Director of Podcasts

What made you interested in being a Latin teacher?

Since first grade, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I thought I wanted to teach kindergarten. I went to Baldwin High School and had the same Latin teacher for three years and our classes were like a family. However, during my junior year, she took a semester sabbatical and the feeling in our class wasn’t the same. I knew it was difficult to find Latin teachers and felt that it was something I was passionate about and I could help fill the void.

What are some of the memorable events that have happened in your classroom?

I am always taken aback by the kind gestures of students and surprises they are able to pull off. I had a group of students that did a Secret Santa in my class and their gifts for others were so thoughtful and personal. Also, at our annual convention, I was “pranked” with positive words and thank you notes, written by my students, all over my dorm room door. I’ve saved them for when I need a pick-me-up. Whether the gestures are for me or the class, I love seeing the “family” that the class becomes. 

Do you have any hidden talents?

I danced competitively until I was 24 or 25. I took dance classes in ballet, tap, jazz, acrobatics, and even Hawaiian. I wish I could still do a back tuck, or even a back handspring at this point. I also taught all of the previously mentioned types of dance. I danced in my high school’s musicals as well. I’m currently taking an adult tap class, and I’m so glad to be back doing something I love.

What is your favorite part of your job?

Of course I love seeing students make the connections between Latin and other languages, or Roman culture and how it has impacted ours, but I truly love seeing the students grow up and become successful and happy adults beyond the walls of NA. 

Is there a certain class that you prefer teaching?

I’ve taught every Latin course we have – even Exploratory Latin. I don’t have a certain class I prefer because I have found something special about each course that speaks to me — but I do enjoy teaching specific grammar concepts and cultural topics, like passive voice verbs, scansion of poetry, and Roman entertainment.

What’s your favorite book? Movie?

My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. As for movies…I’m more of a TV person – I could watch Grey’s Anatomy and Friends all of the time.

What is your dream vacation?

To spend a few weeks in Florence, Rome, and Sorrento with only other Latin teachers so we can get nerdy and excited about what we’re seeing and experiencing.

What is your favorite genre of music?

Boy bands! I love New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys, but any boy band music!

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Anything to get me from one place to another quickly, whether it’s teleporting or flying. 

If you weren’t a teacher, what job would you have right now?

I love organizing, color-coding, and decluttering things, so I’d be a professional organizer.