The History and Importance of Voting

Megan Wilson, Staff Writer

Turning eighteen is a milestone in many ways.  Not only are you able to buy your own lottery ticket or not have a curfew, but also you can join the armed forces and you finally have the opportunity to vote.

For most teenagers, voting can be scary. We grew up watching the election results on TV or going with our parents to vote, but we did not have a full grasp of current social and political events and how each new leader of our nation can impact our lives. As we have grown up, we have started to understand the social, environmental and educational topics that affect our lives each day. The more we understand the nature of American government, the better we can form our opinions. 

It has not always been that way, though. It was not until 1971 that turning 18 meant you were eligible to cast a vote. For almost 200 years, the right to vote was a hotly debated topic. Race, literacy skills, age, and gender determined eligibility.   Since America was a newly founded nation, the Founding Fathers needed to establish rules for how our country should be governed — electing our leader was one of the more difficult issues to resolve. 1787 brought the creation of the electoral college, a system of delegates who have elected the president of our since its inception.

Initially, not many people had the opportunity to vote; it was only white male landowners over the age of 21 who were granted the right. It was not until 1869 that Congress passed the 15th amendment, which gave African-American men the right to vote. In response, however, several states passed the “grandfather clause,” which restricted former slaves and their descendants the right to vote. Other states, such as Mississippi and Virginia, followed suit and made clauses of their own in addition to administrating literacy tests for potential voters. These practices lasted for many decades. By the mid-1960s, our nation was in turmoil due to the Civil Rights movements. Different protests broke out in an attempt to unify the right to vote and eliminate voting discrimination. The protests did not last long before President Lyndon B Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law which permanently removed barriers for racial and ethnic minorities.

Over time, barriers other than age restrictions were dismantled. The impact of young men being drafted to fight in the Vietnam War before they were eligible to vote started a student movement to lower the voting age.  The key belief was that, if students are old enough to be drafted, they are old enough to have their voices heard and their votes counted. This topic made it way all the way to the Supreme Court, and shortly thereafter the 26th amendment lowering the voting age to 18, which President Nixon signed in July of 1971. Georgia was the first state to lower the voting age to 18. 

Voting and political beliefs have become significant topics for many citizens of our country. Election results have polarized our nation — families have split apart,  and political disagreements have sparked public protests. Debates and rallies are promoted so citizens can gather insight into who the candidates are, where their core beliefs lie, how well they conduct themselves on a public stage, and how qualified they are for being our next leader.

There have been multiple elections in recent history that have been decided by less than 3 % of the popular vote. When Kennedy was elected, he defeated Nixon by 84 electoral votes  but only .2 percent popular vote. George Bush defeated Al Gore by only five electoral votes, even though Gore won the popular vote by .5 percent. Bush had another close election in 2004, when he defeated John Kerry by 35 electoral votes. Close elections should compel all eligible citizens to vote, especially all newly eligible young adults.

As the election quickly approaches, it is very critical for 18 year olds to register and vote. Even one vote can make a difference, and voting gives us the opportunity to cast a vote on who we honestly think is best suited to lead the country.

To register to vote, begin here.

Once the completed form above is approved, you will receive your voter registration card in the mail. If it does not come within approximately two weeks, contact your county election office here

The Pennsylvania primary will occur on April 28th.  The general election is November 3rd.