U.S. Rep Conor Lamb Visits NASH

The Congressman spoke with students last Friday in the NASH Auditorium.

Much of high school life can feel detached from the real world, but last Friday was an exception.

U.S. Congressman Conor Lamb, PA-D17, visited NASH during 11th period on February 14th, and students had the opportunity to hear him speak on a variety of current topics in the auditorium. 

Students submitted potential questions for the Congressman via a Google form but also had the opportunity to directly ask him any questions they had at the end of the talk.

“It’s important for students to get access to their elected officials, since it seems like there is a disconnect between the elected officials and their constituents,” sponsoring teacher Mr. Pirring said.

Many students in attendance enjoyed hearing from the Congressman.

“I am thinking about going into government, so it was a good learning experience and an opportunity to talk to [Congressman Lamb] personally,” senior Margaret Fenton said.

I care a lot about climate change and gun violence because I hope to be around on this planet for longer, just like you guys, so hearing about those types of issues from you guys renews my energy to work on those things in Washington.

— Conor Lamb, U.S. Rep, PA-17

Lamb made sure to let his student audience know that he hears their voices and concerns.

“Your power is not felt in Washington the way it should be, and so by coming here and listening, and hopefully giving me feedback, you guys are doing a service on behalf of your generation, and I really appreciate that,” Lamb said. 

The Congressman then tackled the impeachment issue when responding to a question regarding why he voted in the affirmative. Lamb explained his thought process, citing foreign policy precedents and the belief in the President’s power being strictly for the public good.

He also answered several other student questions dealing with the two-party system, the role of the electoral college, recreational drug use, and his experience in Washington.

Junior Maggie Scala found the talk especially beneficial.

“Listening to [Lamb] speak made me more interested in the topics he discussed and what he does for his job as a representative,” Scala said.

She also enjoyed the relatable nature of Lamb’s presentation.

“I liked hearing his opinions on things pertaining to high school students specifically, such as college tuition and how he got involved in politics,” Scala added.

Last month, Lamb formally endorsed Joe Biden’s presidential campaign and mentioned last Friday that Biden’s connection to western Pennsylvania was a significant reason for his doing so. Lamb stated that a big part of his job is to “think about what’s best for this region of 750,000 people that I represent.”

I liked hearing his opinions on things pertaining to high school students specifically, such as college tuition and how he got involved in politics

— Maggie Scala, NASH junior

Senior Nate Gierczynski found one aspect of the event especially impressive.

“I was mostly impressed by the bipartisan turnout and respect shown by everyone in attendance,” Gierczynski said.

Senior Spencer Lunt appreciated that Lamb showed similar respect in return.

“I really enjoyed hearing [Congressman Lamb] speak since I felt like he spoke for both the Republican and Democratic sides, and both sides could find something to agree with him on.”

Lamb has traveled to several Pittsburgh-area high schools, both as a part of previous campaign events and as a service to the young adults in his constituency.

“He seems to care a lot about western Pennsylvania and the people he serves, rather than just the politics in Washington,” Lunt added. 

In regard to his experiences talking with youth across the congressional district, Lamb said, “You are asking about the things we’re going to be dealing with for the long-term. I care a lot about climate change and gun violence because I hope to be around on this planet for longer, just like you, so hearing about those types of issues from you renews my energy to work on those things in Washington.”

Lamb faces reelection in November, challenged by Republican Sean Parnell.