October 10, 2017

Congratulations to Nickolas Spisak, winner of the Back-to-School Prize Basket!  Nickolas, please claim your prize from the NASH Café at this time.

****

Attention all NASH students:

Please join us for Point Park University’s Fall Media Day on Friday, Nov. 3rd. This year’s theme is “Difficult Issues, Difficult Coverage.”  At Point Park, you can participate in a series of interactive workshops that explore various fields in communications including journalism, photography, media law, broadcasting, and multimedia/web.  There are also write-off, draw-off, and photography contests that might interest you.  Stop by GOAL, room 249A, for more information.  The cost of Media Day is $15;  that fee includes a light breakfast, lunch, and transportation.  Contest entries must pay an additional fee.  Payment and permission forms are due in GOAL by October 26th, so act now if interested.

****

DECA members are reminded that there is a meeting and pizza party immediately after school today in the auditorium foyer.  Important information will be discussed, including: competition, fundraising, officer positions available, and service opportunities.   Students will begin signing up for competitive events.

Any student still needing to pay membership dues should do so today.  On Monday, October 16, dues will increase by $5, so don’t delay!

****

Hey NASH!  Key Club is doing a supply drive for those affected by Hurricane Harvey. The donation box will be in the auditorium foyer from today until Friday, October 27th! Some examples of products we will take include non-perishable food, personal hygiene items, new clothing, paper products, and gift cards. Be sure to check the slideshow on the cafeteria TV for a complete list.  Texas needs our help–all donations are appreciated!

****

THE FOLLOWING COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES WILL BE VISITING NASH TODAY:

Belmont University at 10:41 AM

John Carroll University at 11:26 AM

Slippery Rock University at 12:11 PM

Sign up to visit with a representative in your Naviance account.  Each meeting will take place in the college visit reception area located next to the auditorium foyer .

****

The NA Boys and Girls Rowing team faced strong competition at the 31st Annual Head of the Ohio in Pittsburgh on Sunday.  Congratulations to Henry Campsie, Alex Hladio, Ethan Mattson, Manny Mouganis and Christopher Schmitz for taking gold, silver and bronze medals home.  Rowing is an exciting, competitive sport and the Tigers are looking for additional athletes to join them on the water this fall.  To learn more, check out their website at NARowing.org.

****

If you are interested in competitive math events, TRAVEL MATH might be for you.  There are both team questions and individual questions.  The event is held at schools in the area and one match at home.  If you’d like to learn more about it, please come see Mrs. Ruffolo.  Come to the back hall of the second floor to room 249A to get a permission slip.  Our first match is Monday, October 16, so get your permission slip right away.

****

Are you interested in health care? Do you want to be a doctor? Join Health Occupations Students of America and interact with real life health care professionals! Come to the NAI Library on Tuesday, October 17 to learn from a pulmonologist who works in an ICU. Also, come for more information about the HOSA state leadership conference.

****

If you are interested in going to college after high school, please listen to this announcement.

College Information and Financial Aid Night will be held TONIGHT from 6:00-8:30 p.m. in the NASH Auditorium. You and your parents are encouraged to join us as we hear from admission representatives who will share their knowledge of the college application process.  A representative from PHEAA will be there to discuss the financial aid process.

The colleges represented that evening will be: Ohio State, Robert Morris, IUP, Penn State, and the University of Rochester. Even if these particular schools aren’t schools on your list, the representatives will be talking about schools like them.  We will also have representatives from the NASH and NAI school counseling office here this evening.

****

Are you interested in learning how to twirl a baton?  Do you want to become a North Allegheny Majorette?  Then the 3rd Annual North Allegheny Majorette Mini-Camp is where you need to be.  The mini-camp is open to grades K-11 and will be held on Wednesdaynights beginning October 18th.  Look for the flyers and posters around the school for more details and information on registration.

****

Join us to see THE HUMANS, a Tony Award-winning play, on November 15th at the Pittsburgh Public Theater. It’s been called the “Best Play of the Year” by the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Entertainment Weekly, among other sources. What’s it about? Brigid and Richard have moved into a shabby two-floor apartment in New York’s Chinatown just in time for Thanksgiving, and her family arrives from Scranton, PA to laugh, argue, and eat around the table. But also dished up are fears, real and imagined, experienced by many Americans dealing with life today.  Don’t miss it!  And don’t delay!  Tickets are $18, and you can pay by cash or check made payable to “NASH.” Permission forms can be picked up in GOAL or downloaded through Blackboard.

****

Are you interested in becoming a tutor? If so, join Tutors for Opportunity! Tutors for Opportunity is a club that funds educational ventures in foreign countries by raising money through tutoring. If you would like to become a part of this great cause, please sign up to become a tutor in the GOAL office.

****

The 2018 Safari Yearbook and Personal Ads are available for purchase.  To purchase your book, please go to www.yearbookforever.com.  Personal Ad forms are available on the NASH website under the Safari link.  Order your book and personal ad today!  Prices go up on October 23rd!!

****

You can find a copy of the announcements from today, yesterday, and every day at NASHUPROAR.ORG.  Thanks, and have a great day.