Olivia Scherrer

March 13, 2020

Olivia+Scherrer

What school do/did you attend, what do/did you major in, and what year did you graduate NA?

I am a sophomore at Duquesne University, majoring in Early Childhood Education with a certification in PreK-4.  I will go for my Masters in Special Education this fall. I graduated from North Allegheny in 2018. 

Do you think NA gave you an accurate idea of what college/real life was going to be like? In what ways?

North Allegheny did a wonderful job of preparing me for college. The school took pride in its challenging yet engaging curriculum, similarly modeled after college curricula. The expectations set by my teachers matched that of my professors to a certain degree, so I never felt like I was pressured by the workload presented to me.

Do you think there was anything that you wish NA had done a better job of preparing you for?

Academically speaking, North Allegheny prepared me well. The only thing that caught me by surprise was the shift in diversity on my college campus. However, that is not something North Allegheny could control — it is more of a locational and socio-economical situation.

How well prepared do you think you were compared to your peers?

I believe that North Allegheny gave me a boost academically and through numerous opportunities in extra-curricular activities. My knowledge in both my studies and my hobbies allowed me to meet new and interesting people and dive deeper into my intellectual interests.

Do you have any advice for the current students?

My advice is to be as involved as you can be without overworking yourself. Find your interests, stick with them, and take care of yourself. The last thing you need is to be overwhelmed and unable to find some kind of consistency in your hectic teenage life.

What do you miss most about NA?

I miss the teachers who helped me realize who I am and the close community within the building between the staff and the students.