Boomers: You Aren’t Alone

No matter what age, no one is invincible against COVID-19

Melina Tripoli, Staff Writer

The past month has been crazy. Honestly, 2020 so far has been full of many unexpected events. But the month of March, which witnessed a dramatic increase in COVID-19 cases in the U.S., causes people worry. Now, many schools are closed and trying online school. Colleges are cancelling in-person classes until next semester. Non-essential stores and businesses are closed. Restaurants are only doing take-out. Let’s just say this is going to be a time for the history books. 

Many people have taken to social distancing and locking themselves in their houses to keep not only themselves hopefully healthy, but others safe as well. 

There are sadly those few people who’ve decided to ignore the advice of health officials and keep hanging out with their friends, having parties, or going outside for fun. Many teens hold this belief because of early data that showed COVID-19 only severely hurt the older generations or people with health conditions, while the younger generations escaped with mild symptoms. Hearing that gave the younger generation the idea that they are invincible and can still do whatever they please. But that is completely wrong.

In general, the older you are, the more likely you are to get contract an illness and maybe even suffer worse conditions. But anyone can contract the virus, and with COVID-19, for which there is no cure at present, it’s vitally important to understand how it can spread.

Social distancing is really important in a time like this. Young people can easily contract the the virus, but because their symptoms may not that severe they still decide to go out with friends and the spread proliferates.  It is not only important to stay inside to flatten the curve but to also save others who may be at a higher risk of being hospitalized or worse.  

It is terribly hard to want to stay inside and not be around friends. Many young people say that they do not want the virus to control their lives or keep them from living. While that is understandable, now more than ever everyone needs to understand that staying in is important to save yourself from getting it and spreading it to more people.  

To help the younger generation realize they sadly are not immune to COVID-19, more and more younger people are starting to be reported to have the virus.

In an article from Pittsburgh City Paper, they started to document the ages of people right in Allegheny who have tested positive “Of the 133 now confirmed positive cases, 52 have been of people between the ages of 25-49. This age group represents about 39% of the county’s cases. But, 55 people ages 50 or older have tested positive for COVID-19, and that represents 41% of the positive cases. Young people have not been immune to positive tests, as 26 people ages 24 or younger have tested positive.”

As time goes on, more people in their 20’s-30’s are starting to get more severely ill. 

It is definitely scary to read and talk about, but it is important to realize no matter the age anyone can get this virus. The sooner everyone stops acting invincible we will hopefully be in the clear.

Doctors and nurses go out every single day to help fight and stop this virus. They are risking their safety and health every day. Do not act carelessly because it seems only older people get COVID-19. They aren’t alone in this fight. This virus can go to anyone and everyone; it may not be as severe as someone who is in their 70’s or someone who has already existing health conditions, but you can still get it. Be smart and stay inside because, no matter your age, you are not immune to this.