Expert Advice: COVID-19

Professional insight into the pandemic.

Dr. Matthew Morrell, M.D.UPMC Presbyterian

Dr. Matthew Morrell, M.D.
UPMC Presbyterian

Rachel Morrell, Staff Writer

Matthew Morrell M.D., is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh. He is also the Medical Director of Advanced Lung Disease for UPMC. He currently works at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital.

The following interview took place on April 7, 2020.

How serious is the COVID-19 pandemic in Allegheny County? 

The number of infections with COVID-19 has been steadily increasing, most likely due to spread but also likely due to the increase in testing that is available to the public.  We expect to see a peak in cases in the next 7-10 days here in Allegheny County.

Are you and your coworkers facing a shortage of PPE (personal protection equipment) supplies at UMPC hospitals?

So far, we are not experiencing a shortage of PPE nor supplies at UPMC.  UPMC has instituted education regarding conservation of PPE and when it is appropriate to use and not to use.

If you can, could you give an estimate as to how many people are staying at a UMPC hospital with COVID-19?

Across the UPMC system of hospitals, approximately 60 patients are hospitalized with COVID 19.  However, this number changes on a daily basis and could blossom during this next week. Some of the patients are only on supplemental oxygen, but some of them are on ventilators. Many people who have tested positive in this area are in their own homes if their symptoms are minimal. 

What are some of the issues with facing a pandemic this large?

The main ones are public health education regarding how to prevent the spread of the virus, how to identify symptoms of an infection, and how to seek help if you think you are infected.  Right now, there are still members of the community who are not staying at home and following the advice of their community leaders to stay healthy.  Of course, we also worry about a vaccine and means to slow the spread of the virus. We also worry about the medical resources to care for patients if they require in-patient medical care, like hospital beds, ventilators, etc.

Can you explain how the virus spreads? 

The virus is spread by small respiratory secretion droplets when an infected person sneezes or coughs.  These droplets can land on surfaces which then are touched by other people. People then touch their face, mouth, nose and eyes, which can then transmit the virus to another person.  The virus can reside on surfaces for several days before somebody else can become infected.

What are some of the measures people should take to stay safe?

The best ways to stay safe are to wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer throughout the day.  You should stay home as much as possible to avoid being in contact with other people who may be infected.  Social distancing is key to stopping the spread of the virus.

Some people are still not following the guidelines that public health officials and the president have ordered. What would you say to them to persuade them to listen and follow the rules? 

This virus can infect men, women, and children alike.  Symptoms of infection can be very mild but can also be severe enough to cause death.  You should protect yourself and your loved ones by following the advice of your local leaders.

Describe how your daily work schedule has changed in response to the pandemic. 

Most elective surgeries and procedures have been shut down in the hospital.  Patients are being seen by their physicians through “virtual visits.” They interact with their physician on their phones, tablets, or laptops rather than coming to the office for sick visits and checkups.  Most research has been shut down and non-essential workers are asked to stay at home.

How much stress are you and your coworkers under?

Overall, the stress level is moderate to high in the hospital.  Things appear to be under control right now, but health care workers here in Pittsburgh are unsure of what the situation may be in the next one to two weeks.  Also, health care workers worry about being exposed to the virus and bringing the virus home to infect their families and loved ones.

What are some of the measures being taken at hospitals, particularly the one you work at, to reduce the spread of COVID-19?

Visitors are not allowed in the hospital and everybody, including health care workers, must be screened prior to entering the hospital with questions about possible exposure to the virus and also a forehead temperature scan.   Health care workers are also provided a regular mask to wear while they are in the hospital. If a worker is sick, they are expected to call their supervisor and stay at home to avoid spreading any infection to other workers.