Live(streamed) from the NASH Auditorium!

A review of the fall play, which, despite challenging circumstances, garnered over 600 views on Saturday night.

Sophia Caruso, Staff Writer

It has been a year of firsts, but last Saturday’s production of Almost, Maine, which was live-streamed due to the spread of COVID-19, was a particularly new experience not only for the cast and crew but also for the audience.

Although the auditorium seats were empty, over 600 viewers tuned in from home to enjoy the show. 

The prologue introduced the play, with the characters Pete and Ginette, played by Anthony Durzo and Sally Cho, portraying the image of young love effortlessly, despite the CDC guidelines.

A small tent and cabin laid the foundation for scene one. While Glory and East, played by Meredith Reed and Will Palicki, are on an adventure to see the Northern Lights, their characters are depicted as curious and childlike as they explore the wonders of Maine.

In a brief break in the play, senior Grace Elliot performed a song about love that gave insight into the themes of Almost, Maine.  The show’s musical interludes, featuring many of the stage performers, were as well produced as the play itself.

Love and loss became prominent themes throughout the play as characters expressed their affections and grieved their recent losses. With Glory’s heartbreak, the play cut into song as student performers flashed on the screen to dance and harmonize to “Just Another Silly Love Song,” by Paul McCartney. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the depiction of the awkwardness and confusion of what love means in the play’s second scene. While watching, I could resonate with the characters, and I appreciated the amount of dedication put behind the backdrops and props. Every so often, the camera panned to close-up views of the actors, which allowed viewers to focus on the different intimate moments between characters. 

Although nothing beats seeing a play live and in person, the cast and crew did an incredible job of engaging the audience throughout the scenes. The smooth transitions into songs led into the next scenes rather perfectly. Different songs were performed between scenes, adding meaning to the emotional aspects of the play. 

With the incredible amount of detail in the back-drops to the wonderful acting from the whole cast, Almost, Maine was everything you want in a play and more. 

Scene three depicted a laundry room with characters Marvalyn and Steve, played by Anna Parsons and Gannon Sprinkle. The backdrop was phenomenal, as walls lined with brick and racks were filled with hanging clothes.

Even if you have never seen or heard of Almost, Maine, the show has something for everyone. Relatable characters, awkward encounters, and confusing conversations give viewers a better understanding of the story and all that it offers. 

The play also paints a picture of the difficulties of love, which I found intriguing. Gayle and Lendall bicker through scenes as they give each other “their love” back. The materialistic idea of love was both interesting, as characters exchanged the once love they had for each other. 

After a brief intermission, the second half of the play started returned to the character Pete. The transition between the intermission and the swiftness of the next scenes fell perfectly into place. Emotions poured onto the screen through every aspect of the play. Although I was not physically present, I could feel the emotional pull through the screen. 

NASH senior Josh Truesdell then performed a solo piece while short videos played in the background. This was pleasing to the ears and visually stunning. I thoroughly enjoyed the cuts between singing and visual footage that fit the mood of the song. 

As the play came to an end, actors emerged onto the stage to give their final bows. Although I came into this play with no knowledge of what it would be about, I was left satisfied with the different romantic portrayals of each character. 

The hard work and amount of dedication the whole production team put in did not go unnoticed. With the incredible amount of detail in the back-drops to the incredible acting from the whole cast, Almost, Maine was everything you want in a play and more. 

The cast and crew, wearing masks from start to finish, conquered the challenges presented and gave a fantastic performance, dancing their way off the stage to conclude this year’s unprecedented play production. 

By Monday, the total YouTube views approached 800, and the show remains online for anyone who wishes to see what they missed.